When you shutdown Windows the computer will not turn off
Some users of PCs and laptops face the same problem their device in the operating room the Windows system completely shuts down. It often happens that after calling «start menu» and clicking on «shutdown», the computer continues to work.
Some users the screen goes off, but continue to spin coolers. And others — operating hangs when you exit, and how many do not wait for the words «End of work», is not lost.
The reasons for this can be very different. It can be hardware errors, hardware conflict, incorrect operation of drivers and specific programs and services that podpisa can let the regular shutdown of the operating system.
Four ways to speed up PC shutdown
For the most part, the elucidation of the true causes of the malfunction can be compared to a detective. When you have steps to disassemble, what exactly prevents proper shutdown of the device. But first, a few standard solutions that will help to speed up the shutdown of Windows operating system.
Video: PC does not turn off
Operate a powered USB hub
Mainly, this method is relevant for owners of laptops. To conserve battery power some USB devices are disabled by default, that is, they cease to be the power supply. But not all of them is able to properly work with this function and «to inform» Windows on its status.
Arise such situation that when you turn off the OS accesses the device, but since de facto it is disabled, it receives no response. And as a result, the shutdown slowed and freezes. To prevent this situation, disable power management of the USB hub.
To do this:
- to call device Manager. This can be done in the following way:
- press the key combination Win + R to open the Run window;
- in the input field typed devmgmt.msc and click Ok.
- click the right mouse button on the shortcut the Computer (in Windows XP, My computer);
- in the context menu to select Control;
- in the appeared window select device Manager;
- find the section USB Controllers (in Windows XP, the universal serial bus Controllers USB);
- open the drop-down list and select the item USB Root hub.
Most likely, they will be few and each will need to do the following steps:
- right mouse click, in context menu select Properties;
- in the opened window, go to the power Management tab;
- remove the tick at «Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power»;
- confirm your changes by clicking the Ok button.
You should be prepared that this can lead to reduced operation time from the battery. But, as a rule, most users won’t notice the difference. If this method did not help you, you can always return the settings to their original state.
Disabling services or applications
During normal shutdown, Windows stops execution of all programs, including those that worked in the background. Of course, the more services were launched during the operating system, the more time it takes to complete them. But if one of them crashes intermittently, it hinders a regular shutdown.
To resolve this problem, you first need to identify its source.
For this, you need to view the logs for descriptions of errors that occurred. Windows stores this information in special journals.
To access them you need to:
- to invoke the start menu/control Panel;
- choose to the configuration settings of the computer display small or large icons;
- then among all the options to find the administrative tools;
- in the window that appears click on the shortcut to Event Viewer;
- then a new window will open Windows Logs. Clicking on it, this opens a drop-down list;
- you need to view two magazine App and System.
We are looking for messages marked as Error and Warning are highlighted in red and yellow respectively. If they constantly referred to one and the same service or application, it is possible to disable it.
To do this:
- from the Administration menu, select the label of the Service;
- in the window that appears, find the offending service;
- click on it with the mouse;
- the new window choose the General tab;
- change the startup Type to Disabled.
For applications there are two options:
- remove them from the Startup list;
- manually disable the executable process using Task Manager (to call you need to press Ctrl + Alt + Delete).
Open the startup list:
- to open the Run window, it can be accessed by shortcut keys Win + R or run from the start menu;
- enter msconfig;
- this opens the system Configuration window, where you need to go to the startup tab;
- uncheck the desired application.
Reduce the closing time of the programs
The third method requires changes to the Windows registry. This can be written independently. All actions with the registry may only be performed by a user with administrator rights. To invoke the registry Editor in the Run box, you would type the command regedit. In the window that appears, we need a section HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then in the drop-down list, choose Control Panel and then select Desktop.
Here you will need to change the value of three parameters:
- need for AutoEndTasks set the value to 1(numeral one). This option means that the operating system will automatically terminate povisshie program;
- the HungAppTimeout value can be set in the range from 1000 to 5000 MS. A function of this parameter determines through how many milliseconds the program if she does not respond, can be considered bodissey;
- WailToKiliAppTimeoul responsible for how long Windows will wait for a response from a hung program. This parameter is also measured in milliseconds, by default it is equal to 20,000 MS but better to replace it at 5000 MS.
If the cause of the slowdown «Completion», is a service — WaitToKillServiceTimeout, which is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlsetcontrol. Its value can also be changed to 5000 MS. The version of the Assembly depends on the registry structure. If you do not find the described options in their addresses, then use the Search, which is available via the edit menu at the top of the window.
Sometimes the computer does not turn off because there is no link between the operating system and the BIOS of the motherboard, which normally would have to pass it control functions of the power consumption of the hardware. In modern motherboards ACPI enabled by default but disabling it is simply impossible.
But on older models there were cases, when ACPI mode flew, many times, especially after flashing the BIOS. If you have a fairly old computer, and when it is off the screen there is the inscription «Now the power of the computer, you can disable», enable ACPI.
To do this:
- to restart the computer;
- no waiting for downloads Windows, cause Boot BIOS setup menu, (press the function key, for some models is F8, F6 or F4, but there were also more exotic options Tab or Delet);
- then in the BIOS find the ACPI item, and change its value to enable.
Other causes and solutions
In modern computers equipped with an FireWire not infrequently the cause of incorrect completion of this work is the IEEE 1394 bus. But you can disable it through the Device Manager. Another common problem, Windows shuts down, screen goes blank. But the coolers keep spinning and LEDs flashing. Most likely, failure of a power supply or some capacitors from the motherboard.
This will only a visual inspection, attempt to replace the power supply. To determine podvisli you or just the shutdown will take a little more time than usual was required, quite simple. It often happens that the mouse cursor remains active with a locked up. Although if he is «stuck», it is one hundred percent locked up.
But in most cases it is better to check the following: try pressing one of the buttons or . The fact that their pressing needs to respond led signals the keypad. If not, then regular shutdown, can not wait.
Unfortunately, a complete shutdown of the device if an incorrect shutdown can only be achieved completely by cutting the power. For the system unit, it is enough to disconnect it from the outlet. The laptop will require a long press (about 10 seconds) the Power button, the shutdown of the power cord and removing the battery.
If none of the above does not help, then you can only sympathize. Ahead of you have a entertaining search that device or driver that does not work properly. In some cases, when there is a hardware conflict, without creating a driver update or OS manufacturers themselves, will not solve the problem.
It remains only to contact the support, give a description of your equipment and tell what Troubleshooting you’ve tried, and wait for the update release.