Version of Windows Phone 8.1 for developers is ready for download. How to get?
As he tells us rumors, Microsoft today began distributing a prerelease version of Windows Phone 8.1 for all those who are registered in the developer program. Presented at the conference BUILD 2014, a new version of the platform includes a number of changes, including: notification center, Cortana digital assistant, new options for customizing your home screen and much more.
The good news is that you don’t have to be a developer to download and install this update. Just visit the site Windows Phone App Studio, click on the link «sign in» and then log in using a Microsoft account that is connected to your phone, and create a project. After that, you need to download and install on your phone a special Preview for Developers app that enables access to the update.
Inside the app you must perform the following steps:
- on the first screen click «Next»;
- further agree to all terms and conditions by clicking on the «Accept»button;
- now enter the user name and password of the account you used to log on to the website Windows Phone App.
- enable the checkbox «Enable Preview for Developers» and click «Done».
After these steps, just go to phone settings and click «Check for updates» under «phone Updates».
If you install Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview, this will only update the software platform of the phone, but will not add any add-ons from the respective manufacturer. For example, Nokia has promised its users further improvements, but they will be released in summer together with firmware Lumia Cyan.
As with any software, there are some restrictions you should be aware of:
- Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview will void the device’s warranty. Thus, if you do not want to remain without a warranty, better wait until your manufacturer will release an official update.
- After you install the update you will not be able to return to Windows Phone 8. This means that if you encounter a bug or an unstable job, you will have to live with that as long as the manufacturer will not release the final version of the update.
- The update is available worldwide, but the digital assistant only operates in the United States. However, Microsoft is already preparing to launch Cortana in UK and China. This will happen before the end of the year, and more countries will be added in 2015.
- If you live outside USA, is there a workaround to use Cortana in your phone settings as a region will choose US and switch to English interface. However, keep in mind that so you can stay out the functions prescribed specifically for your region.