The Run dialog and some commands for it
The Run dialog is a tool integrated into Windows operating system. In certain scenarios it can provide quick access to programs, folders, documents, and other system resources, provided that you are aware of the appropriate start command. Most users, however, ignore this feature.
The Run dialog has nothing to do with the Windows command prompt, but can be used to run the program, although most often (in my experience) it is used to access items in the control panel. Most users work with the system apps only from time to time and not everyone knows the commands for starting of programs with which they work. It is for this very reason, the Run dialog is typically ignored.
In this article I will talk about some of the benefits, which opens the Run dialog, shows how it can be used, including will share a short list of useful commands.
Why the Run dialog could be useful
As mentioned above, the main function of the Run dialog is to provide alternative ways to open applications and documents.
- Time savings. To run anything via the Run dialog requires only two steps – opening the dialog and entering the appropriate command. This makes it an exceptionally fast way to launch apps that are buried deep in the bowels of the system.
- Ease of use and independence. You can work with it using only the keyboard, which means that the Run dialog can help you in those situations when it is not operating the mouse or the touchpad, or when the OS interface does not respond to mouse clicks due to a failure in the operating system, for example.
- Life without the start menu. It can replace your «start menu» (partially or completely, if you are a hardcore user). Thus, it is a great way to wean yourself from a function that is not present in Windows 8/8.1, but you’re so used to using all previous versions of Windows.
How to launch the Run dialog
The easiest and fastest way is to use the shortcut key Win + R.
In Windows 7 and previous OS versions you can add the Run command in the start menu, and in Windows 8.1 you will find the function in the WinX menu, which is opened by pressing shortcut keys Win + X or right-clicking the mouse on the «start»button.
Some useful commands for the Run dialog, which every user should know Windows
- The name of the application – generally, many programs can be started by typing the name of the application. For example – «firefox», «excel» or «paint». However, not all commands are intuitive. For example, to open Word, type «winword». To learn the commands to launch their apps, use the method of trial and error.
- explorer – open Windows Explorer
- shutdown or logoff – the first command allows you to shut down the computer, and the second is required to exit the system. To restart use the command shutdown-r.
- controlpanel or just control – open the control panel.
- taskmgr – used to start the task Manager.
- osk – used to start on-screen keyboard.
- desk.cpl – opens the display properties.
- controlkeyboard or controlmouse or controlprinters – properties keyboard properties mouse properties printers, respectively.
- appwiz.cpl – quick access menu in the add/remove programs.
- cleanmgr – used to run the tool «disk Cleanup».
- %appdata% – opens the data folder of installed applications.
- cmd – the command line.
- regedit – registry editor.
- msinfo32 – start the program «system Information».
That’s it! I hope this article is useful to you.