Setup Windows 7 for optimal performance with SSD
Until recently all computers worked with HDD, low speed and low efficiency. But they were replaced by a new generation of drives, called SSDS running much faster than their old counterparts. As with all new devices, initially they were expensive, and their volumes were not different large capacity.
But over time, manufacturers began to increase their volumes, and because of competition the cost began to decline. It would seem that still need to the average user? But they have one person
ness: excessive overwriting of data can completely incapacitate him. But to avoid troubles, a setup Windows 7 for optimal performance with SSD, and it will lead to an increase in service SSD.
Why do we need to configure the OS?
All flash drives have their own memory, it’s based on chips. They have no moving parts, what is on the HDD, so they are not afraid of any bumps. The SSD memory is composed of a plurality of cells which can wear out when a large amount of rewriting.
And a very important point is to configure the OS to migrate data to a flash drive, because the challenge of some of the services and operations of the drive is slow, if you do not configure windows.
Setting will reduce the use of space, references to him, that will certainly increase the service life of the removable media. If the SSD used in normal mode, it can last for a decade, and if used actively, the period is reduced to 2 years.
To install windows on the drive, you need a system to prepare. Check:
- go to the website of your computer manufacturer or the SSD check date versions. If you intend to reflash, you can erase all data and you should know about before installing the OS. Find information about the update, download it to your computer;
- translate system startup in the BIOS setting to AHCI, that is, exhibited a removable drive first. Use the latest modes, otherwise it will run with glitches;
- removable media must be formatted. You can use windows, it needs to cope with this task;
- you should check booting from removable media, connect, create logical partitions. If they were separated, then update them, uninstall the previous breakdown, and re-divide. Now install the latest driver for your disk controller, beforehand downloaded from the manufacturer’s website.
Video: Optimizing SSD drives
Disable services and functions
Enabled by default, many services and features in windows 7 is slowing the system startup with the SSD, we will tell you how to properly disable and what services to disable is not rational. Since running services consume lot of computer resources, then disabling them will speed up the start, the work of removable media.
Indexing and caching
To disable the cache entry, do the following:
- open device Manager (system, Manager);
- find all devices connected to the computer;
- open the properties option;
- find a policy, uncheck the options «create permission cache».
The option to create cache entry in windows 7 is constantly drawn to the RAM, and keeps a record of the most popular teams, and then they will run on removable media. But SSD much faster than HDD , and this option is superfluous.
Indexing is useful only for system with HDD, but for removable media it is not effective: it will not affect speed, and to serve as the drive will be much smaller, since there will be constantly updated index data.
Disabling this feature will not affect the database and, therefore, the disconnect operation will be imperceptible to system startup:
- my computer;
In the opened window, uncheck the option «allow indexing», and if the system will give you an error warning, it is not necessary to return all back, and still uncheck.
Disable Defrag in automatic mode, this function is not needed, it will only reduce its capabilities.
- To find;
- Defragmenting. In the opened window find the option «configure schedule» and remove it.
Windows has a useful function to save energy: sleep and hibernation. These functions are designed specifically for laptops, for which the actual mode energy savings.
Hibernate is the preservation of computer data when you hibernate, Windows writes and saves in the folder Hiberfil.sys on the HDD. When you exit this mode, all data is unloaded and the computer starts from where it was stopped.
If you disable this mode, it is possible to significantly increase the place, and if you run a system with him, there’s no need for them.
The system will be much faster to run, and disable it from the start menu:
- To find;
- Enter the command cmd.
You must run the service as administrator of the computer, right-click, open command line: enter:
- Рowercfg -h off;
- Press enter.
After these steps, the service will be disabled.
With this feature, you can roll back your system, if you had any glitches. Windows creates restore points, all records in a separate file, which takes up a lot of space. Can this feature be disabled, but will be better if you limit the amount of file system recovery.
To do this, open the folder «my computer»:
- in the opened window advanced settings;
- protection. Find the system disk and click on «configure».
- in the window there is a slider with which and set the value to use file size to recover, it is enough for three percent.
Prefetch and SuperFetch
SuperFetch is responsible for caching the most popular files, and to run from the drive, this service is not needed and should be disabled.
The Prefetch service is responsible for loading programs into memory of the computer, and in our case it is useless and disable it:
- start menu;
- find: enter Regedit. Open the registry editor;
- looking for «HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlsetcontrolsessionmanagermemory ManagementPrefetchParameters»;
- click on the file EnablePrefetcher;
- now we need to change the set value to 0. The same operation guide file EnableSuperfetch;
- after finishing, you should restart the computer.
Video: configuring disk
Moving the paging file
It is advisable to do this if OS is 32-bit, the paging file should be moved to another location, you need to perform a series of commands:
- Control panel;
- Virtual memory
A window will open, where you have the option «recommended»:
- remove the checkmark from «automatically determine the swap file size»;
- now please select any logical drive where you will move, indicating the size;
- then specify the initial and maximum size, but it should not be more than the paging file;
- set the value to «ask»;
- now it will be where you specified.
If your computer is running a 64-bit windows RAM more than 8Gb, then you can safely disable the paging file:
- My computer;
- The performance of your computer;
- Virtual memory;
- To change;
- Remove the check box from the page file;
- Remove the checkmark from options recommended;
- Uncheck automatically determine the paging file size;
- Move the file to a predetermined location on the hard disk;
- Specify the initial and maximum size not exceeding the size of the file;
- Set the option «ask», all file are disabled.
If the function TRIM?
The TRIM command, the OS conveys important information about the unused SSD data blocks, which can be cleaned by him. Since the option of formatting and deletion of files can cause slow performance of the drive, this function can reduce the number of junk files and clean it.
This is one of the most basic commands that must be enabled, otherwise the recording level will be low, which will reduce the functionality of disk space.
To make sure this feature is enabled:
- to find;
- input value cmd;
- run the file right click as administrator;
- input value fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify;
- check the DisableDeleteNotify value, there should be 0;
- if there is any other number, then this function does not work.
Configure windows 7 for SSD drive, SSD Mini Tweaker program
If you are not a computer genius, and to move the OS on SSDхочется, then use a small SSD Mini Tweaker. The program does not take up much space, and does its job quite quickly, and is relevant to those users who are going to postpone the launch of the system Windows 7 32 bit and 64 SDD.
The Launchpad window of the program looks like and can immediately configure the required settings.
Many of the features to transfer Windows are not needed, they can only slow down the process:
- The function of SuperFetch is supposed to affect performance improvement, but according to the Creator of the program, it is not needed and should be disabled.
- The option Prefetcher disable the same;
- If windows of a large volume, for example, uploaded movies, vs. «to lift the limit NTFS» write a check, it will affect the speed of response files.
The program will help to set up about 13 parameters that will increase the performance if she is going to start from SSD. The goal of optimization is to reduce the accesses to the removable media that extends its functionality.
The work of your operating system you can activate, if you run it with an SSD, and Windows 7 perfectly adapts to run with a solid state drive. Even if you have a lot of energy consuming programs, with proper optimization, you can debug it to run with SDD, with emphasis on Superfetch/Prefetcher and defragmentation.
If you have a large operating memory, it is even better: you can successfully optimize it, that will only lead to performance and long-life removable media.
Every day SSDs are getting cheaper, and let’s hope that this trend will not change.
Many new computers already contain this type of drive, the manufacturers have optimized the operating system for efficient handling of SSD.
Of course, to choose the way of optimization you need to and we just gave the most important advice on how to do it without losing important data when you migrate system to a SSD.