How to remove, move or increase the size of the Pagefile.sys?
Pagefile.sys — Windows system file, or the paging file. It performs the function of a virtual reserve for physical RAM PC. At the time of the critical load to the RAM, the pagefile software expands its volume — stores data that do not fit into modules of «RAM». This System Attendant algorithm selects the least demanded by the user information (with the least number of requests). This mechanism prevents freeze and crash the operating system.
Nevertheless, despite all the advantages, pagefile.sys file can cause a number of common problems:
- «Snubs» OS (on low power machines);
- increasing the load on the hard disk drive (HDD);
- excessive use of the system partition hard disk space (true if it has a small amount).
From these problems can be properly get rid of, if you delete pagefile.sys (disable), reduce its size or move to another disk (partition).
Let us consider in more detail how to perform these operations, and in some problematic situations they are suitable (version for Windows 7).
How to flip open the virtual memory settings
1. Press the key combination «Win + Pause Break». From the vertical menu, «Advanced Settings …».
. Note also switch to OS configuration properties panel you can through the Control Panel: Start → Control Panel → System and Security → System → Advanced Settings.
2. Activate the «Advanced» tab in the new window (System Properties).
3. Press the «Options …» in the «Performance» section.
4. In the «Performance Options» and click the «Advanced» tab.
5. Click «Change …» In the «Virtual Memory».
Completely remove the pagefile, possible only if:
- PC equipped with a RAM with a sufficiently large volume (ie a situation where RAM will seek the help of the swap file is almost excluded);
- You do not use resource-intensive programs (converting video, games), do not run multiple «heavy» applications.
Note. To delete the swap file — then disable it in the options of use, (not to be confused with the standard Windows function — sending in the «shopping cart»). After deactivating the pagefile settings automatically disappears from the disc.
1. disable the option «Automatically select the amount of …» In the «Virtual Memory».
2. Turn the mouse click the radio button «No paging file.»
3. Click the «Set», and then — «OK».
4. Restart the OS to the new settings to take effect.
Caution Any changes the virtual memory (delete, move, resize) You need to restart the operating system.
Change of size
Tweaking Virtual Memory. Runs when you need to find a reasonable balance between the loads on the RAM and hard drive. In other words, to have sufficient RAM was a virtual reserve, and that such a system «not retarded.»
Option №1: for system selection
In this case, the choice of the size of pagefile.sys Windows you trust completely. The system of this setting will vary automatically (decrease / increase the number of MB, if necessary).
Tip! This setting option is best suited for inexperienced users, poorly oriented in the OS settings.
1. Enable the option «Size of choice …» (click the radio button next to).
2. Activate the setting using the «Ask».
Option №2: Manual Installation
1. Select the system partition by clicking in the «Disc».
2. Turn on the radio «Specify the size.»
3. Set the configuration options:
- Original Size — Set a value greater than about 1.5 times the amount of physical memory installed RAM;
- Maximum size — set the size to 2 times the RAM. (But be allowed and lower values in excess of the «Initial Size» option).
Caution Meaning sure to specify in MB, not in GB (1 GB = 1024 MB). Otherwise, the setting will not operate correctly.
4. Click the «Set».
The main advantage of a manual infusion that the system will use the parameter settings and will not expend resources on counting and formation of the optimal paging file size (see automatic configuration -. Option №1).
Moving to another drive
This manipulation software appropriate when there is a need to use pagefile.sys, but drive C is so small that it does not contain in itself. Either the allotted space for virtual memory is necessary to use for other applications.
1. In the «Drive [Volume Label]» (box «Virtual Memory»), select the drive on which you want to move the pagefile (for example, drive D). Click on it with the left mouse button.
! Tip Selecting drive, pay attention to how much unused space on it — look at the value of the column «Available». If the volume is small, «unload» drive (delete unnecessary files) or select another.
2. Enable the option «Size at the choice of the system» to automatically set the paging file size, or «Specify the size» for manual adjustment.
3. Click the button «Set».
After changing the virtual memory settings, pay attention to the stability of the OS. Test its operation and start the game / application, demanding to resources. If you have problems, make the adjustment (increase the size of the file), or dramatically change the setting (without paging file on a system option).