Microsoft clarified some aspects of activating Windows 10
Tomorrow will be exactly 2 months since the release of Windows 10, but to describe aspects of the activation of the new operating system Microsoft feel the need just now. In particular, the page «Activation in Windows 10» refers to the new form of activation, which the company calls a «digital right». It is in addition to activation through the 25-character product key, but the way in which the operating system will use to activate, depends on how the user has received their copy of «ten».
According to Microsoft, a «digital right» is a new activation method that does not require the user to enter the key. In this case, activation will happen automatically.
Windows 10 will use this activation method when one of the following conditions:
- have you updated your genuine copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 free upgrade;
- you have purchased a copy of Windows 10 from the Windows Store and successfully activated it;
- you bought the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro in the Windows Store and successfully activated it;
- you updated genuine activated copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 to the latest build of Windows 10, as a member of the preliminary assessment.
Activation method product key will apply if:
- you bought a copy of Windows 10 in the store;
- you bought a digital copy of Windows 10 in the store;
- you are using a corporate license for Windows 10, or the MSDN subscription;
- you have purchased a new computer running Windows 10.
How to activate the «ten» after the updates
If you have upgraded to Windows 10, license version 7 or 8.1, the system will be activated automatically when you connect to the Internet and your device will create a «digital right».
According to the documentation, if the operating system is not activated before the upgrade, you will not be able to activate Windows 10, using «digital right».
How to activate Windows 10 after reinstalling
You can reinstall Windows 10 and even perform a clean installation on the device, with a digital right, the product key is not required. If during the installation you will be prompted to enter the key, hit «Skip». The system is activated automatically after installation.
If earlier, the 10-ka was activated with a key, you’ll need to enter a product key during installation.
Activation build of Windows 10 Insider Preview
Starting from 29 July 2015 to install the latest build of Windows 10 on a computer with Windows 7, 8 or Windows 8.1, you first need to upgrade to Windows 10 using the free upgrade.
After installation, go to Settings > Update and security > advanced settings and join the insider program. As a result, you will get a new and activated in the Assembly.
How to activate Windows 10 after a substantial update hardware components of a computer
Microsoft says that users who received Windows 10 by free updates, most likely, will not be able to re-activate your copy after the replacement, for example, the motherboard. However, users faced with such a problem, the company proposes to seek the assistance of support.