Microsoft announced the minimum system requirements of Windows 10 to smartphones and computers
Right now China is hosting the conference WinHEC intended for hardware partners of Microsoft. This event is rich in information that will be useful for those who are following with interest the development of Windows 10.
After the announcement that Windows 10 will be released in the summer, the company has shared other information, which is associated with the minimum hardware requirements for using Windows 10. It can also help to clarify the compatibility of a new version of Windows with devices that are currently available on the market.
Windows 10 for smartphones
As for the version of Windows 10 for smartphones, Microsoft has provided the following information:
- The minimum amount of RAM is 512 megabytes.
- The amount of internal memory should be at least 4 gigabytes. Microsoft adds that the device with 4 GB of memory should be equipped with a microSD slot to install the updates.
- Windows 10 will support screens with diagonals from 3 «7.99». In theory, the last confirmed occurrence in the future of phablets with Windows 10.
- Windows 10 will support the resolution above Full HD, including QSXGA (2560 x 2048), WXQGA (2560 x 1600) and QWXGA (2048 x 1140).
- Microsoft explained the link between screen resolution and amount of RAM: 4GB will be necessary to QSXGA resolution, while 3 GB will be required for WXQGA and QWXGA. 2 gigabytes of RAM is needed for Full HD and at least 1 GB RAM for 720p, qHD (960×540), WXGA (1366 x 768) and WSVGA (1024 x 600). For lower resolutions, such as WVGA (800 x 480 pixels) and FWVGA (854 x 480 pixels) the minimum amount of RAM is 512 MB.
- The company said, and support new models of systems-on-chip (SoC), including the Snapdragon 810 (8 cores), 808 (6 cores), 615 (models midrange), 210 and 208 (budget devices). It should be noted that we are talking about a brand new SoC, while the ones that are currently used in devices with WP8.1 will also be supported by Windows 10.
Windows 10 for computers
Microsoft has provided the following clarification regarding the minimum system requirements the desktop version of the operating system:
- 1 GB RAM for 32-bit OS and 16 GB of hard disk space.
- 2 GB RAM for 64-bit versions and 20 GB of disk space.
- Compatible with DirectX 9.
Windows 10 will be able to work with devices based on Intel processors, including the processors Atom Cherry Trail architecture and Skylake. Windows 10 will be compatible even with the Atom x3 entry-level, which was presented at the exhibition Mobile World Congress 2015. Among hardware partners AMD has also confirmed compatibility with the chips Carrizo and Carrizo-L, respectively, for both desktop and mobile devices.