Manual cleaning registry in computer
Very often the computer after a reasonable amount of time without crashing, slowing down, long boot and hang in the process of working with any application.
Many users start to look for the answer to this question, most of them are inclined to believe that the computer contains a virus but the antivirus check proves the opposite. In this case, the reason lies likely in the fact that you need to clean the registry.
To begin to understand what is registry. It is a database operating system that stores settings and configuration.
While the computer is running, it makes a new registry entry for the installation and removal, connecting devices (e.g., flash drive, printer, modem, etc.).
Over time, the registry fills up, causing the OS becomes harder to find the files you need. In addition, it may not work properly if after the uninstall left some components. Because of this, there is a key conflict, which leads to unstable operation of the computer.
Registry cleanup helps optimize the system and thereby speed up your PC. For cleaning you can use special software such as «Ccleaner» or clean the registry with their own handles.
Video: Clean computer
Clean with Ccleaner
Many users are familiar with Ccleaner is a small utility that allows you to quickly clean the registry, delete temporary files, configure startup and not to harm windows.
Ccleaner has an intuitive interface, making it easy to understand for any novice user. At the moment the latest version of the utility has a number 4.19.4867. You can download it from the website software. It also exists in several editions: standard, portable and lightweight.
During the first run the user will see the main window where on the left side there are a few points: cleaning, registry, tools, and settings. At the top of the main utility window shows information about program version and system information about your computer.
«Cleaning» allows you to remove temporary files from the system, browsers, utilities, multimedia and many others. The user may note in the lists of those items where you need to clean.
You need to focus on the item «Cookies». If you tick this option, the program will delete saved passwords in browsers as they are stored in so called cookies.
The Registry Tab
Here you see a list of possible problems with the registry. Ccleaner will analyze its integrity (will find the old keys that were left due to improper removal of programs).
It should be noted that any error in the registry will enter the slowing down your computer, the system starts to work less stable (random reboot, slow applications, relatively long loading operating system when starting and many other problems).
Working with tab is quite simple:
- first, you need to click on the tab «Registry». The user will be taken to the main window, where the left side is a list of the «Integrity…». By default, each item is ticked. It is recommended not to remove marks;
- then you must click on the tab «Search for problems» and the program will begin analyzing your registry;
- after analyzing you need to click on the tab «Correct…»;
- after clicking on «Fix…» the user will be prompted to make a backup of all changes. This gives you the opportunity, if necessary, to make restoration to the original state. Just click on a saved copy;
- after the decision to save (or not) a backup of the registry, you will see a small window where you will described his problem and the possibility of its correction;
- after fixing the current problems the search problem needs to be repeated several times.
Tab Service and remove programs
Using the function «Tools» the user can make removing applications and components to configure startup to find the files you need to perform a system recovery and erase the drive.
Now let’s deal with each submitted item:
- the item «Remove programs» — an alternative method of uninstalling applications to replace standard control panel. In the «Remove programs» provides information about each app (publisher, install date, size and version).
To remove the need to:
- choose in the list of currently Installed programs, the program you want to remove by clicking on the tab «Uninstall»;
- if necessary, you can make a report by saving the current program list to a text file. The report helps the user to know about problems while uninstalling some applications. To save the report, click the right mouse button on any app listed, and click on «Save report…».
The Setup Tab
In the settings presents the main parameters of the program:
- Settings. In this tab, you can set the language, select additional options, such as «Perform the cleanup when the computer starts», add «Run Ccleaner» in the context menu of the Recycle bin and others. You can also choose the cleaning mode and the disks to clean free space;
- «Cookies» allows you to save specific cookies for Internet browsers. To do this, you must right-click on the desired site and in the dropdown menu, select «Save»;
- «Enable» allows you to select specific folders that the program will always remove;
- «Exception» allows you to select folders and files and certain registry branches that are not removed;
- «Monitor» allows you to automatically monitor software to auto-purge;
- «Advanced» offers experienced users to use advanced settings.
How to clean registry on the computer manually
Cleaning the registry is made not only using, but manually:
- the first thing to do is to call using the shortcuts Win+R the Run window;
- then in the empty box type the command «regedit» and click «OK»;
- then you will see the editor window;
- further, in the left part of the editor presents a list in which you want to select «HKEY_CURRENT_USER» and find the subkey «Software»;
- clicking on the section «Software» you need to find the entries about remote components. If the registry preserved in the records of previously deleted applications, then you must delete them.
Pay attention to the warning.
next, we need to find the section «HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE» and find the subkey «Software»;
- click on the subkey «Software» should delete all records that relate to deinstallieren programs;
- after performing these steps, you need to close the editor and restart the computer.
Do a backup of the system
The backup OS is required as a preventative measure. In the event of a failure, you can use this backup for a few minutes to restore a fully functional system, with all the previously installed apps and drivers.
To make backup you want to perform the following steps:
- the first step is to go to «control Panel», select the tab «System and security» then choose «Backup and restore»;
- then in «Backup and restore» on the left side select «Create system image»;
- after a window will appear «Create image». Here you choose where to store the backup. This can be a ordinary DVD drive (they might need a lot, because a copy can reach 100 GB) or external hard drive;
- then a window will appear, «Which drives to include in the backup», where you can select the drive where the operating system resides;
- the following window appears confirming the backup settings and in the bottom of the window click on the tab «Archive»;
- then you can see the process of creating a system image.
To work with the registry via command line, allowing you to add, delete, view, copy, and compare its elements. Given that correct operation of OS depends on the registry, make any changes very carefully.
Before starting, be sure to make a backup of your system.
To manage files under command line with the command «REG».
This subcommand also supports some additional subcommands:
- «REG add» — use this sub-command to the registry you can make a new subsection or a new item;
- «REG delete» — using this subcommand from the registry, you can delete the subsection or element;
Example: REG DELETE(MachineName)HKLMSoftwareIntel
After you enter this command, you should receive a warning about deleting a certain registry key. Then, you should select «Y» (Yes) or «N» (No).
- «REG query» — this subcommand displays a list of items and names of subdivisions;
- «REG compare» subcommand compares the subkeys and registry items;
- «REG save» with «save REG» can be saved subsections, items, and registry settings to a file.
In this article, we explored ways to clean registry. Registry-cleaning is necessary to ensure stable operation of the operating system.