Keep the files on the desktop? Try three more effective method of storing files
Did you know that storing files directly on your desktop can harm your productivity? I personally know many people who download files directly to the desktop and then leave them there. There hidden flaws that you may not know, but of course they can be avoided.
Then we will talk about alternative ways of storing files. Perhaps some of them will seem not so inconvenient, as the storage of files on the desktop, but I assure you, with time you will love them.
Disadvantages of storing files on the desktop
The desire of users to keep the files on the desktop is understandable. So they are just a click away, but there are some drawbacks that negate the above mentioned advantage of this method:
- Lack of file protection. How notes portal PC World, work system restore does not affect certain directories of the operating system, including the folder «Documents». Files stored on the desktop, in contrast, depend on system restore, and it can cause unexpected disappearance of files.
- The lack of backup files. Many of the tools to create backup files by default ignore files to your desktop. Yes, most programs allow you to change the settings, and add desktop to your backup if necessary, but in the case of forgetfulness, you may lose all your important files.
- Mess, mess, mess. It begins with several documents, but the collection of files on the desktop is increased by several dozen musical compositions, images, programs, archives etc. will Agree that finding the file in such a mess.
Use multiple disk partitions
One computer saying: «Never store files on the same partition on which the operating system is installed». The location of the desktop on the file system is on one partition with the operating system. Why is this important Council? Because you can’t keep all your eggs in one basket.
Let’s assume that you happen to catch a computer virus, or other malware. A virus may erase only the files related to the operating system, but may affect the entire partition that contains the operating system. Losing the operating system, you will lose all your files.
But if you install Windows on partition C:, and your file you put on the partition D:, they will all be safe even if the partition C: will be cleared. However, keep in mind that in the event of damage to a physical hard disk will be affected by all the sections.
One of the additional benefits of having separate partitions is the ability to reinstall Windows without losing your files.
Use Windows Library
Each version of Windows comes with a directory called «My documents». In Windows 7 it was renamed to «Libraries» and came in company with several «friends»: «Video», «Music», «Documents» and «Images». This is the library, and you’ve probably seen them before, but for some reason never used, isn’t it? You should reconsider your decision.
The truth is, these libraries are special. They are not simply directories; they are collections of multiple directories. In any library you can add different directories. Thus, the contents of all added directories will be displayed in the library. For example, if you keep your videos in different folders, you can link them to the Videos library. Then when you go to the library, you will see all these files in one place.
Store your files in the cloud
The last few years we have seen rapid growth in popularity of cloud data storage. If you don’t believe in conspiracy theories and not experiencing fear for the privacy of its data, platforms such as Dropbox, Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive can render you good service.
Here’s how it works: simply choose a few directories, and enable auto-sync their content with the service that you choose. All these files will be available to you from anywhere in the world with many different types of devices. Moreover, you can make certain files available only to you, and the other was public, if required.
Why is it better than storing files on your desktop?
- Backup. Thanks to the automatic synchronization can be almost not to worry about the safety of the files. If your computer something happens, all these files are still available to you in the cloud, and you can always get them again.
- The history of changes. Not every cloud service offers this feature, but most of them it is. With this cloud feature will track changes made to a file, allowing you to return to the previous version of the file, if necessary.
If your computer has Windows 8.1 as its cloud service you can choose OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive), as it is already integrated into the operating system.
Need fast file access?
Sometimes convenience wins out over practicality. Many prefer to keep the files on the desktop, because they have immediate access to them. By taking one small compromise, you can maintain it is convenience. The answer is to use shortcuts.
To create a shortcut as easy as dragging the file with your mouse. And even if the label is destroyed, the file itself is not going anywhere.
But why not go even further? Simply click the right mouse button on the shortcut of any file and choose «pin to taskbar». This function is also convenient, if not more, as traditional storage, desktop shortcuts, and I use it every day.
Anyway, always win personal preferences. If you keep your files on the desktop for many years, you probably will not be able to change his habits. I admit, I, too, store files on the desktop, however, make it in reasonable quantities, trying not to clutter your desktop.