Removing a computer virus: anti-virus tools and online services
November 11, 2013 the first computer virus was 30 years old. It was created by an American student Fred Cohen in the era of 8-bit machines. «Strain» bred in the PC file system at a rate of biological organisms — for 5-60 minutes. A year later, Cohen wrote a treatise, that the viruses in the future will be distributed through computer networks, and they will resist anti-virus software. Needless to say that his theoretical studies were a prophecy …
Today the journey over the Internet without antivirus software — like death. From the computer, undressed in the digital «chain mail and armor» in a couple of hours to remain «a trace». Hackers — authors of Trojans, worms, rootkits and other «evil» — not asleep, and constantly improve their creations.
But, fortunately, and methods of protection, too, does not stand still — actively evolve! Using the latest anti-virus tools and special online services, you can remove the virus from your computer entirely on their own. It is not necessary to have any special skills, have more money and know by heart all the hidden corners of Windows. From you only need care and patience.
So, we begin! Consider the most effective tools for removing the «digital contagion» from the computer.
Attending utility, or additional anti-virus protection
This kind of software does not protect your computer in real time, and is, so to speak, a second line of defense. When Trojan bypasses major «detention order» — anti-virus and firewall — that is, remains invisible to them, it’s time to run the disinfection utilities.
Let’s take a look at the best solutions from such a well-known developers Dr.Web, «Kaspersky Lab» and Malwarebytes. By the way, they provide the ability to remove malware for free, so on the keys and licenses you will not have to worry.
To manually remove the virus from Windows with the utility Dr.Web CureIt! Follow these steps:
1. Open the browser Dr.Web official website of the company (freedrweb.com) and on the main page, click on the menu «Dr.Web CureIt!» Section (he is the first).
2. Read the brief instructions to use the utility, scroll down and click on the block «Download for free».
3. Click «Next».
4. Click on the green button long «Download Dr.Web …».
5. Wait until the utility installer will be downloaded to your PC.
6. Now you are ready to release the computer from the «evil spirits». Run the downloaded setup file as an administrator.
7. Set a checkmark in objects that the utility will look for the virus.
8. Click in the upper right corner of the icon of the «key» in the drop-down menu, select «Settings». In the panel that opens, activate the option, raising the level of security and efficiency of computer scan:
- «Protect the work Dr. Web »(if the virus will attempt to attack the utility);
- «Block access to the network» (sometimes Trojan or worm is not removed in the presence of an Internet connection);
- «Block … a low-level record …» (if this option is enabled the virus will not be able to disguise themselves and resist Dr.Web CureIt).
9. Return to the main Settings panel, and click «Start Scan».
10. Do not interrupt the scan process. On its completion the utility will remove all malware found. And to report on files that do not inspire confidence in it, then there are potentially dangerous. If they are not for you any importance, they also need to remove from your computer.
After treatment, restart the PC, check the operating system performance, update a signature database of the main antivirus.
Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool
The principle of operation Virus Removal Tool, the same as that of Dr.Web CureIt! — To find and destroy the virus, which could not find the main anti-virus software.
1. Visit of.sayt company «Kaspersky Lab» (kaspersky.ru).
2. Place your cursor over the section «Download» (menu at the top of the page). In the resulting list, click Software «Free services».
3. Find the icon Virus Removal Tool, and then click the «Download» button located below a brief description of the utility.
4. Run the downloaded installer as administrator.
5. Check the box next to «I agree with …» and then click «Get to work.»
6. Utilities panel, click the icon in the form of gears (setting).
7. Set the options:
- «Field inspection» — select objects to be scanned (system memory, boot sectors);
- «Security Level» — set the slider to the highest position to display the protection status «High»;
- «Actions» — if you want to manually treat the files that are infected with a virus, select the setting «Prompt detection»; for automatic processing infected objects, select the «perform the action» and turn on the functions (check) «Treat», «Delete if …».
8. Click the «Automatically check» and press the «Start scan».
9. When you finish, click the «Reports» (the icon in the form of document to the right of the gears) and look in the «Detected threats», «Report on … … test» files and software that Virus Removal Tool during the scanning process had to be removed.
10. Close the utility and restart Windows.
This antivirus product is shareware (in the paid version of «Premium» more opportunities), it can be used not only to search for viruses, but also as a supplement to the basic real-time protection means. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is able to remove the most insidious virus that other antivirusniki «do not see».
1. On the main page of the web site of the company «Malwarebytes» (malwarebytes.org) in «Downloads» section click on «Products».
2. The list of products get the unit Anti-Malware Free (free version) and click there the button «Free Download». click «Download now» On the next page.
3. Install Anti-Malware, by following the instructions.
4. The utility panel on «Settings» tab in the «language» setting (language) set the Russian.
5. Click the «Dashboard» and «database version» column, click «Update Now».
6. After the updated virus database, open the tab «Scan», select «Custom the SCAN» and click Scan Now.
7. Set the scanning configuration, including all user settings (check the box) and select the drive you want to check.
8. Press the «Start check».
9. At the end of testing Anti-Malware will ask you what to do with them detected files to delete, clean, or leave the system (in case it is false positives).
Restart the system and enjoy purified by the operating system.
Checking individual files for viruses online
Virus Total Service
It happens so that the installer from some applets, text document or any other file, and breathes anxiety and danger: that he himself started, increases in size, it is reduced, etc. And the time to remove it, but here’s the problem — it is very much needed, and do not want to part with it, only because of the suspicion. A virus, as an evil, silent.
You have the same situation? Cease to torment yourself with doubts! If the file is not larger than 64 MB, please send it to the test in virustotal.com: online it will scan dozens of different antivirus programs and, accordingly, will make its verdict — remove or leave the system.
- Open the browser Virus Total.
- Click on «File» tab.
- Click «Choose File» and select the object you want to send for review.
- Activate the «Check!» (Big blue button).
- Based on the result of the scan, decide what to do with the file then — destroy / save.
Attention! Sometimes antivirus opinion participating in the inspection, is divided: some of them — say a harmless file, others — recognize in him the virus. You, in turn, trust the most. You agree that it is better to remove a tiny file that you reinstall the operating system.
Viruses do not only infect system files, but also cleverly disguised under them. So much so that their anti-virus software can not find. Of course, a computer security expert will understand easily where the original, where the hacker fake, where the infected object. But an ordinary user — no. To solve such problems and filecheck.ru forum was established
1. On the main page of the resource in the search box, enter the name of the file (name and extension, eg lsass.exe), which you think is a threat to the operating system.
2. Press the «Magnifying glass» icon.
If there exists a basis Filecheck data file requested by you, you get a lot of useful information there. Namely:
- a detailed description and purpose (what makes is responsible for what, etc.?);
- bytes in size (as it should be if the file is not infected);
- location (directory folders, registry keys, and branches);
- Reliability rating at the value of certain parameters (%);
- recommendations for action and other users comments.
As you can see, dear reader, can withstand the ingenuity of hackers — and quite well. Antivirus tools discussed in this article are only a small part of a solid arsenal. Having mastered them, learn new. Arm and act!
Let your Windows OS shines with cleanliness and order!