Instructions for installing WIndows on a disk with GPT partition style
Progress in the development of personal computers and server systems made over the last 20 years, is obvious. However, the vestiges of dead platforms still define many of the technological aspects of the rapidly evolving computing technology.
One of these vestiges is the BIOS firmware in Assembly language, running in a special mode of the processor, recorded on the chip, an integral part of the motherboard.
Time passes and the vestiges of the die. And the BIOS is replaced, the long-awaited UEFI technology which to replace the master boot record (MBR – Master Boot Record) GPT results.
What is GPT
GPT (stands for GUID Partition Table) – format of host records on the hard disk partitions.
Unlike MBR, GPT does not contain executable code and does not pass control of the computer, the operating system loader.
These functions are performed by the UEFI. GPT contains the following information:
- the block number of the hard drive, which is the beginning of the section;
- section length in blocks;
- the type of partition.
GPT has a number of significant advantages over MBR.
- supports hard drives larger than 2.2 GB;
- a greater number of possible boot partitions and, as a consequence, the lack of logical partitions, which require large hardware resources;
- acceleration of loading the operating system and the computer in General through the use of the method according to the LBA block addressing of the hard drive;
- duplication of data on hard disk partitions in multiple tables located in different places of the hard drive;
- data integrity control on the layout of the hard drive using the CRC.
For compatibility, if the selected drive is GPT style markup in the zero block is present MBR installed special value section. This is necessary for running the hard drive in the BIOS.
It is clear that a Winchester can’t be bootable, however, if the operating system supports disks with GPT style markup, then the information can be considered.
Video: install the OS on GPT
Installing Windows on a GPT disk
To install Windows on a computer with a GPT style partition a hard drive, you must meet the following conditions:
- should install the 64-bit version of the operating system;
- on the motherboard of the computer must be set to UEFI and not BIOS.
First, the conditions dictated by the policy of Microsoft: only 64-bit versions of Windows operating systems allow you to use UEFI and GPT.
The second condition follows from the fact that GPT is a standard of UEFI and normal BIOS is not supported.
To install the operating system requires installation disc or USB flash drive. To create a bootable USB flash drive in several ways:
- manually from the command line of the operating system;
- with the help of specialized programs.
As specialized programs you can use:
- Microsoft Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool;
Important! UEFI — compatible flash drive must be formatted to the FAT32 file system, therefore, the maximum amount of data stored on it cannot exceed 4 GBytes.
If the distribution of the operating system has a volume that exceeds 4 GB, it is recommended to format the flash drive with the NTFS file system.
Configuring UEFI BIOS
To configure the UEFI BIOS is required to perform the following steps:
- to enter the UEFI by pressing the appropriate key when the computer is booted;
- if you will use the USB flash drive, formatted in NTFS, you will have to disable Secure Boot;
- to determine the order of loading the operating system, identifying as the First Boot Device flash drive or DVD;
- save the made changes by pressing F10.
Figure 2. Save changes and restart
Option Secure Boot allows you to run only the startup programs that are signed with a digital key known to the UEFI. This option is usually located in the Security menu, to disable it, you need to set the value to Disabled.
In some cases to disable the option Secure Boot will need to be translated from UEFI to BIOS-compatibility mode. Such operation may be referred to as CSM, Legasy BIOS. For more detailed information, please consult the documentation with a detailed description of the options in UEFI. Possible menu UEFI to perform this operation is shown in figure:
To determine the boot order press the button «boot Menu» and in the dialog that appears, select the USB flash drive or DVD drive.
Attention! Unless you enable the compatibility mode from BIOS, the DVD drive should work in compatibility mode with UEFI!
In some cases, saving changes is not required, the process of operating system installation will begin immediately after you define the boot order.
Please note: Windows 7 does not recognize as a boot disk on a flash drive working on USB 3.0 standard. The flash drive must be plugged into a USB 1.0 or USB 2.0. These connectors are usually black in color unlike the USB 3.0 ports with the blue color.
The installation process
The process of installing the operating system on the disk with the GPT style markup is the same for Windows 7 and Windows 8 and includes the following sequence of user actions:
- when the OS installer get to the stage of choosing disk, you must remove all previously existing sections, having completely spaced disk;
- after that, click «Next» («Next»), and complete the remaining steps for installing the operating system. The disk will be marked in automatic mode using the GPT partition style.
- verify that the Windows operating system installed on the disk with the GPT style markup, you can use the snap-in «computer Management», «Storage», select «disk Management». In the properties of the drive on which you installed the operating system on the tab «Volume» in the line «partition Style» should contain the entry «partition style is GPT».
Note: deleting previously existing partitions cannot occur without data loss, so that all the information on the deleted partitions will be destroyed! Before you delete the hard disk partitions, create backups of important information.
What to do if installing Windows on the drive a gpt partition style?
If the setup program of the operating system gives an error «Windows Installation on the disk impossible.»
The selected disk is of the GPT partition style», there are two possible reasons:
- the computer does not have UEFI;
- in UEFI was set Legasy BIOS (legacy BIOS) where the boot and the disk formatted GPT style, impossible. In this case, you need to disable compatibility mode from the BIOS.
If the computer does not have UEFI, then you must re-partition the hard drive in MBR style. The easiest way is using the console command diskpart.
Please note that changing the style of disk partitioning can destroy all the data on it, so you should make a backup before you change the partition style of the disk.
Despite the fact that GPT is a relatively new technology, its developers have made every effort to make the process of installing the operating system is not very complicated.
If you install Windows on a disk with the GPT partition style you want to pay attention to the following:
- the computer must be running UEFI;
- in UEFI you have to disable the option «Secure boot»;
- when booting from the DVD drive you need to install the compatibility mode to UEFI.