How to Windows 10 install and move Windows Store apps to the external memory or another section
Every longtime computer user knows the situation when because of lack of disk space, had to delete the program, or even several, as in Windows there is a simple function, with which it would be possible to move the application to another disk/partition or even an external USB hard drive and flash drive.
Last year, on Lumia and other phones with Windows Phone has the opportunity to transfer already installed applications and games on the memory card. The same feature is available in the desktop version of Windows 10, where it is particularly useful when you have a limited amount of built-in storage (16-32 GB), which will have a tablet running the new operating system.
So let’s understand how this function works.
Persistent and move apps to a new location
The new feature works similar to the one that you might see in Windows Phone. To change the installation location of the application or to move some of them, you need to go straight to Settings > System > Storage, where you will see a list of drives connected to the computer at the moment.
To move the app to an external drive/ another hard drive or partition:
- select the disk (by default, all applications are installed on the system drive);
- next go to «Applications and games»;
- now, locate the app in the list (to speed up the search, just enter the app name in the search bar), select it and click «Move». Then select the drive to which you want to move this app and click «Move».
Please note that not all apps from Microsoft can be moved to another location.
Now to answer some of the questions that might arise:
- Why we need three folders created in the external memory? The first folder just contains the name of the user profile. WindowsApps is the folder where to install the application. Finally, the folder WpSystem for data storage applications.
- Why are the names of the folders inside WpSystem highlighted in green? Because their contents are encrypted. That is, if you lose your external drive, no one will be able to read the contents of these folders.
- Do I need to format the external drive? No. You can use it together with your files that are already stored on it, knowing that with them nothing will happen.
- What happens if you disconnect the external drive? Nothing. You just won’t be able to launch installed apps as long as you do not connect the drive to your computer.
If you want all new apps were installed on an external drive/another hard drive or partition:
just go to the Store and a drop down menu that follows after saying «Save location», enter the drive on which the system needs to install the application. By the way, here you can change the locations to save your new documents, music, pictures and video.
The function was tested on an external hard drive, USB flash drive and memory cards SD and microSD, and in all four cases, it worked perfectly.