How to set, change or remove picture password in Windows 8.1
Thanks to the new technologies at our disposal already, there are more effective ways to protect our Windows computers. Picture password is just one of those new ways, which debuted in Windows 8. This feature, as you might guess, allows you to use images to create a unique password that contains a combination of different gestures.
If you’re new to Windows 8.1, specially for you in this article, we will show you how to create a picture password. First of all, it is worth noting that even after creating picture password, you can still use the traditional methods (text password or PIN) to log in to your user account. If you log in you will not be able to enter the correct picture password 5 times in a row, Windows will automatically offer you to use alphanumeric password.
Now let’s see how to set picture password in Windows 8.1.
1. Press Win + I on the keyboard and select «Change PC settings». Now when you will open the application «PC Settings» in the left side of the screen select «Account» and then «Options».
2. In the section «input Parameters» you will see the option «picture password». Click on the «Add»button.
3. The screen will display a wizard to create a graphical password. First, enter a password for your local account or Microsoft account:
4. In the left part of the screen, as shown in the screenshot below, click «Select picture».
5. In the next step you can choose the image on your computer that you would like to set as your picture password. Alternatively, use one of your most favorite photos.
6. Then confirm your choice by pressing the button «Use this image».
7. Moving on. For picture password you can use circles, straight lines and points. Because you have to remember the position, size and order of gestures, the best option is to use points, but you decide. You can do pressing in the areas that are somehow highlighted in the image – this will help you to memorize the pattern. If the points are not arranged as you would like, use the «Start over».
8. When finished, confirm your gestures:
9. If upon confirmation you make a mistake, Windows will give you a hint.
10. After successful confirmation of gestures, click «Finish».
That’s all! Now when you login you will be able to use the graphical password.
If you later want to change or delete a created picture password, follow these steps:
1. Open the app «PC Settings» and navigate to the section «login Settings» under «Account». Next to the option «picture password» click «Delete» if the graphical password you no longer need. Otherwise, click «Change».
2. Next, click on «Choose another image», then go through the process of creating a picture password with a new image and click finish.
That’s about it. I hope everything written above is useful for you.