How to rename hard disk partitions in windows 7
Modern OS is aimed at the maximum simplification of all operations and computer management.
It allows anyone to produce those or other manipulation having the skills of a computer wizard. In particular, it is possible to change the letter of the local disk.
The change drive letter or USB flash drive in the disk management Windows
Not everyone knows, but to rename a local drive in Windows 7 without any special software. The operating system has means to perform such an operation.
Important! The system carrier (on which you installed the operating system) cannot be renamed. If you try to do that, you will see the error message.
The control window
The first thing you’ll need to open the control window (element, providing control over all devices).
To do this, do the following:
- find the «start» button and click on it;
- in the search bar typed «Control»;
- the result will be a list of different utilities. You need to choose top called «computer Management» and open it.
Can enter in the line compmgmt.from msc, and press Enter. Item (device management) will open. The described procedure can only be performed with Administrator rights.
Change the letter
To change the letter you will need to perform the following manipulation:
- click «disk Management» and highlight the section you are interested;
Tip: you can rename not only hard drive but also other drives.
- click the right button of the mouse.
- next you need to open the changes tab characters.
- this will open a window where you need to click on the «edit» button. This point is responsible for changing the letters;
- now you need to choose the right letter, enter it and click on the «OK» button. Please note: you cannot select an already-used letters and A (it is reserved by the system).
Video: change a drive letter in Windows
The result of
As a result, the system will ask you to confirm your actions. This is due to the fact that the section has certain software. Any operation with the media can make adjustments to his work. If the media is clean, then confirmation is not required.
It is recommended to close all applications that are stored in this section. Also do not forget about active programs in the tray. Usually it’s the antivirus, torrent, Skype etc. If not closed, high probability of occurrence of critical errors.
In the end you will need to restart your computer, because only then all the changes take effect. If there is a serious error in the system (for example, some apps have stopped working), it is possible to recover the system. This will require you to insert the OS media and start the corresponding utility.
If you change the media name, you cannot use the following;con, com, aux, prn, nul, lpt. This is because these words are reserved for system data.
How to rename hard drive using Norton PartitionMagic 8.0
If the partition is a system, standard methods to rename it will not work. If we try to do, the inevitable collapse of the entire operating system.
However Norton PartitionMagic 8.0 allows you to change even the system partition. In addition it can help to optimize system performance and achieve maximum performance.
So, in order to perform this procedure, do the following:
- download the program from the Internet (for most resources, it is hosted on a free basis);
- install it on your computer and run;
- the main menu is a list of all sections. In it select «With» and click the right button;
- in the resulting window, select the «advanced»tab;
- opens several tabs among which you need to find the one that is responsible for changing the character of the mark;
- click on the arrow and choose the letter;
- it remains to close the program and restart the computer. When switched on, the partition will be renamed.
As you can see, nothing in the procedure described there.
Showing a little effort, you can easily achieve the desired result. The main thing is not to try to «reinvent the wheel».