How to make a bootable USB flash drive Windows XP
Today we will talk about how to create a bootable USB flash drive Windows XP. Bootable flash drive is needed if your computer has no CD/DVD drive or just the way Windows installs a bit faster on the computer than from the CD/DVD drive.
To create a bootable USB drive you will need:
1. USB flash drive with memory capacity from 1Gb (Gigabyte).
2. USB PREP8, PeToUsb, Bootsect.exe.
3. The distribution of Windows XP (in the form of a compact disk or virtual disk image such as ISO image).
1) Download the file USB PREP8, PeToUsb, Bootsect.exe and unpack to root of disk C: or D:.
2) connect a flash drive and format it.
Then do everything in order:
1. From the extracted archive, run the file start1.cmd. In our case it is c:programsstart1.cmd:
2. In the window that appears, press any key:
3. In the next window, verify that the selected flash drive and click START:
4. In the warning Windows, click <YES>:
Then begins the process of formatting the stick:
Upon completion of formatting press <OK>:
5. Close the window PeToUSB :
6. The remaining other window do NOT COVER:
7. Open a command prompt: START -> PROGRAMS -> accessories -> COMMAND prompt.
8. Type in command line the path to the programs folder and at the end add bootsect.exe /nt52 I: ( where I is the drive letter of the stick):
9. Press and if all goes well, there will be a message that Bootcode was successfully updated on all targeted volumes:
10. Close the command prompt and return to the previous window:
11. Enter the number 1 and hit . Specify the path to the Windows distribution XP:
11-1. Enter a number 2 hit . Here you need to specify any Latin letter not occupied by the system (e.g. the letter Q):
12. Enter the 3-digit and . Specify the letter of Your USB drive (in this example it’s the letter I):
14. Enter 4 and . Begin the process of creating a temporary virtual drives with Windows XP. Wait until the process is complete. Then when you are prompted formatnut the flash drive, enter the letter ‘y’ (English) and press :
15. After formatting press any key:
Will start the process of copying files to create a temporary disk Q.
16. Upon completion of the copying, press any key:
17. In the appeared window, Copy To a USB Drive click <Yes>:
Will start copying the files to a temporary disk Q on the stick I.
18. In the next window, Change the Migrate.inf hit <Yes>:
Then, in the window, Unmount the Virtual Drive (unmount temporary virtual disk) click <Yes>:
19. On completion in poyavivshihsya two Windows, press any key.
21. Bootable flash drive Windows XP created!