How to legally download an ISO image of Windows 7 (requires product key)
Some time ago we published a guide on how free and legally download Windows 8.1 ISO; now finally has an official method that allows you to download the ISO image for Windows 7 (x86 or x64). However, keep in mind that unlike with Windows 8.1 for download of the «sevens» requires a legal product key.
If you need to reinstall Windows 7, but on hand no installation media, you can create it using the Microsoft Software Recovery site Microsoft. First of all, you need a computer connected to the Internet, and the ability to save the installation files to a USB drive or burn them to DVD:
- USB [recommended] – use a USB drive that has at least 8 GB of free space. Of course, it is recommended to use a drive where no other data.
- DVD [secondary option] – requires the presence of an optical drive that supports recording on DVDs. Obviously, you need a blank or rewritable DVD.
Note the product key: the Microsoft Software Recovery allows you to download the retail version of the operating system. If your computer was purchased with a preinstalled version of Windows, it is likely that you have an OEM license and you will not be able to download the operating system using your product key. If your copy was purchased separately from the computer, then this method suits you.
How to download Windows 7 and create installation media
- Go to the Microsoft Software Recovery.
- Enter the product key.
- Select the desired language from the drop-down menu.
- Click «Next – Verify Product Key» and wait for the result.
- Download ISO.
- Download the official tool Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool and save it to a convenient location on your computer.
- Connect the flash drive to the computer or insert a blank DVD in the recorder.
- Run Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool.
- Click «Browse» and select the downloaded ISO image. Click «Next».
- Select the method of creating installation media: if you want to use the USB disk, click «USB device»; write the installation files to DVD click on «DVD».
- Click «Begin copying»to start the process of writing files.
After creating the installation media, you can start to install operating system. If you have any questions on the install process, ask them in the comments below or visit the official FAQ on the Microsoft website.