How to install Ubuntu next to Windows 7
The process of installation of Ubuntu next to Windows 7 is not complicated but involves some difficulties, users. So common mistakes are not the right choice of the partition and mount points.
To understand everything, to avoid common mistakes and save time, the following detailed instructions.
Preparing to install
First of all, you need to find the distribution itself. Most reliable source is the official site where absolutely free you can download a suitable version.
Important! You should choose 32 — bit or 64-bit version of the operating system.
Algorithm of actions:
- to find the official English site. He was the first in search engine results for request Ubuntu;
- click on the tab «Download»;
- in the popup menu, choose «Desktop»;
- in the appeared window press the button «Download»;
- then a new window at the bottom click on «Not now, take me to the download»;
- to start the dialog to save the image. You should specify the path to save and remember it.
Is the Russian version of the website offering the download via torrent. This is a less reliable source, but, nevertheless, they are often used by users, so the following is a description of action.
- go to Russian website (you can find through a search engine);
- on the main page, click on «Download»;
- on the page that appears, select a version;
- to save to your computer;
- remember the path to the downloaded image.
The preparation process for me. Now we should proceed to the next step.
Creating a boot disk
Installing Ubuntu from within Windows is possible in two ways both are correct. Here, each chooses a convenient option for themselves.
Possible boot options:
- boot disk;
- a bootable USB drive.
To burn iso image in Windows 7, it is sufficient to click with the right mouse button on the file, then select «Burn disc image».
To create a bootable USB drive is best to use a utility called UNetbootin.
- go to the official website of UNetbootin;
- vibrotechnika «Download for Windows»;
- after 5 seconds download will start automatically.
Next, you must run the utility on your PC.
Note: this program can search for Ubuntu and its download. You should use this function if the previous phase was not done.
Search and download Ubuntu with this tool you need in the opened window:
- select the Ubuntu item, next to the tab Distribution;
- in the section Type to note the significance of the USB Drive;
- to specify the amount of additional space;
- click OK.
If the distribution was downloaded independently, as described in the previous paragraph:
- choose the Diskimage section;
- click «…»;
- find and mark the path to the downloaded earlier;
- click on «OK».
The program itself will perform the write.
Video: Ubnuntu 14.10 next to the Windows 7
A very important step to keep valuable information from disappearing. Many ignore this step in the hope that everything will go smoothly. And often regret his levity. Therefore, it is better to play it safe, especially because Windows 7 allows you to create a copy with just a few clicks.
What to do:
- go to the menu «start»;
- select «control Panel»;
- the «Backup and restore»;
- on the left is the «Create a system repair disc» click on it;
- to insert a blank DVD-RW;
- in the new window click on «Create disk»;
- next, the system will perform the backup yourself.
Now, just a few minutes and the copy is created. This item is performed only for the purpose of reassurance and a sense of serenity. Then, you can proceed to the installation.
Install Ubuntu next to Windows 7
Now you need to restart the computer and enter the BIOS at system boot. To do this, at the moment when the screen just lit up you have to press one of keys: F1, Esc, Del or F2 individually for each computer.
The next window displayed the BIOS. Here it is necessary to make the appropriate settings.
With tips BIOS:
- download the tab First BOOT;
- pressing F6 to set the first USB-HDD;
- save settings;
- to restart the computer.
With the BIOS all. Next, you should proceed directly to the installation.
If everything was done correctly after you restart the computer with a bootable USB drive the monitor will display the welcome dialog. In this window, select the language to use during installation. For this there is a vertical menu on the left.
Next, press the «Install Ubuntu».
A new window appears «Preparing to install».
Then automatically starts the test:
- there is space on the disk;
- access to the Internet;
- connect the PC to the mains.
Important! The latest version of Ubuntu requires 6.2 Gb of free space on the hard disk. Previous versions had enough of 5.3 Gb.
With constant Internet access, you can set system updates for their regular injection. Put a tick in paragraph «Install this third party software» you can get additional codecs multimedia.
After making the necessary settings, you can continue the process of installation of Ubuntu next to Windows 7. To do this, click the «Continue»button.
Now have to decide on the type of installation. You should choose «Other» in it, you can make your settings.
Important! The program offers the installation next to Windows. Here is the relevant paragraph of the «Install Ubuntu next to Windows…». But then not be able to affect the process of installation and the choice of volume under Ubuntu on the hard disk will occur automatically.
Next you should do:
- click «Continue»;
- in the window that appears, specify a section in which there is a place under Ubuntu;
It is important to remember that you will need at least 10 GB of memory.
- click the Change button.
As a result of all the above done you’ll be prompted to choose your settings for the hard disk:
- size. We need to take away from the original 10 GB size;
- type. In the line «Use as» should be left as they are, that is ntfs;
- formatting-need to skip;
- the mount point does not change (/windows).
It is recommended to check all settings and if everything is correct, click OK.
Then appear a new window with a warning about the inability to reverse the action. It meant a lack of «Cancel» button, but the structure of the disc can return to its former state.
In this window you have to press «Continue» and agree with partitioning.
After a short wait in the table of disks is displayed, it will show «Free space».
- click on the row the Free space, thereby highlighting it;
- click on the «+» located below the button Change;
- enter the following parameters:
- size: 1024 MB;
- the new partition: logical;
- the location for the new partition: «Beginning of this space»;
- use as: select swap partition;
- click «OK».
This step creates a «swap Partition». It is used when the system runs out of RAM. In Windows this is called «paging file», stored as a simple file.
Section is now created, but space is still there. Again, you need to select it and press the button with the «+».
This time it creates a primary partition where to install Ubuntu:
- Size: to select the highest possible;
- The new partition: logical;
- The location for the new partition: select «Beginning of this space»;
- Use as: choose the «Journaling file system Ext4»;
- Mount point: choose «/»;
- Click «OK».
Returning to the partition table, it acquired a similar view:
In this table column formatting «Forms» you need to tick the partition Ext4.
Important! Check to see that the tick was only in the Ext4 partition. If ticks are on other partitions – they must be removed.
Left click the «Install now». After to start the process of partition and copying system files of Ubuntu.
When the Windows need to install additional settings:
- to specify the location in the «Where are you?». Language and time zone are usually determined automatically. If everything is correct – click «Continue». If not true, you can specify a location on the map or enter a place name in the appropriate field in the English language;
- the keyboard layout is to choose a base. If necessary, additional layouts it is added after completion of the installation;
- the input of personal data:
- Your name – enter your real or fictitious name;
- The name of your computer. Can not be changed, leaving as is. It is used during communication with the other PC;
- Enter the user name. You must enter the username to use to login to the computer;
- Set the password. Is also used for authorization;
- Repeat the password. Enter the same password as in above field;
Important! Remember your username and password, they will need to sign in, global settings, and software installation.
- To log in automatically. Placing a tick in this paragraph, you are not prompted for a username and password when you log in. There is an automatic hit on the Desk;
- Require a password to enter the system. It is considered a safe method of entry, especially if the computer stored personal data.
- the option «Encrypt my home folder» will be active when you select the preceding paragraph. Makes it impossible to read files from another system or when you connect a hard drive to another computer;
- click «Continue»;
- to start the installation of Ubuntu:
The installation process lasts for yourself, just wait until it has finished.
Upon completion of the installation, click reboot and remove the flash drive.
If everything was done correctly, then when a new computer starts a window appears with approximately such content:
You should select Ubuntu and wait for the boot process. You are now ready to work.
Following the clear instructions and doing step by step you can install Ubuntu next to Windows 7 version. In this case it is important not to rush and double-check the entered settings and data. Of course, newcomers will have to spend a little more time, however, all must happen.