How to fix sync problems OneDrive in Windows 8.1
Since the Windows 8.1 operating system is closely associated with the service OneDrive (former SkyDrive), users can sync files between computer and cloud storage without using additional client as it was before. Function OneDrive comes to the rescue in such situations, for example when you want to access some important files, and the computer is unfortunately out of order. Thus, if you always sync your files with OneDrive you can access them from any modern device with Internet and browser.
Today I discovered that my files stopped syncing, and in the left pane of the Explorer window appeared a yellow exclamation mark on the OneDrive icon. I found several ways to solve problems with broken sync and one of them, in the end, helped me out. If you are faced with a similar problem, try the following steps:
Install the latest updates for Windows 8.1
The first thing you should try is to check for new updates for your operating system. If new updates are available, download and install them – some users have reported problems syncing OneDrive disappeared just after installing all available updates for the OS.
Make reset OneDrive
Other users claim that after a reset OneDrive, the service starts working as it should. Indeed, this method helped me. So, in order to reset OneDrive, follow these steps:
1. Hit the Windows logo key + R.
2. In text string window the «Run» enter the command skydrive.exe /reset and click «OK».
3. Again open Run window and type skydrive.exeand then click «OK».
4. Then restart the computer.
Maybe now OneDrive will synchronize the files.
Change the settings OneDrive
If the above steps did not help you, then you definitely need to try this method, because many users recommend it.
1. Open an Explorer window.
2. In the left part of the window, find the OneDrive icon and click the right mouse button; choose «Properties».
3. In the Properties window select the Security tab and click Advanced.
4. Now, in the opened window, make sure that the subjects, including «SYSTEM», «Administrators» and the account with your user name have the right to «Full access».
5. In the bottom of the window «advanced security settings for OneDrive» enable the option «Replace all permission entries on the child object…» and click «OK».
6. Now open a command prompt window as administrator. To do this, right-click the mouse on the «start» button and choose «Command prompt (admin)».
7. In the command prompt window, type skydrive /shutdown and press Enter. Wait a few minutes, and then in the same command prompt window, type the skydrive press Enter. Wait two minutes, and then run the SkyDrive app from the start screen. Now the service should work without any problems.
If none of these methods did not help you, describe your issue in the comments and we’ll try to solve it together.