How to fix activation error 0xc004f074 in Windows 8.1
We all know that Windows requires a license key to activate, this key is usually entered when installing Windows. After installation is complete, the operating system connects to the Internet and activate the copy, checking the authenticity of the license key.
But sometimes, even if you have entered the correct key, the activation process may fail. One of these failures that you may encounter when you activate Windows 8.1, is error 0xc004f074 with the text «to Contact the key management service (KMS) failed».
If you do not activate Windows 8.1, you will not be able to use some functions and parameters, as they will be blocked. So how to fix the error 0xc004f074 in Windows 8.1?
If you continue to receive this error, perform one of the methods described below.
1. Open a command prompt with administrator rights. For this example, press + Q, in the search box, type cmd, in the search results pane, right-click the command prompt icon and select «Run as administrator».
2. Enter the command slmgr.vbs –ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxxwhere X is a replace on the 25-digit license key for Windows 8.1. Now press Enter to install a license key for your operating system.
3. Next, enter the command slmgr.vbs –ato and press Enter to activate Windows 8.1 key, which you installed in the previous step.
Now your problem should be solved, because the operating system is activated.
If the command line does not suit you, then you can try to activate the OS through the user interface.
1. Open the Run dialog by Ctrl + R, type slui and press Enter.
2. In the opened window enter the key. The result will be an automatic verification of the key with the subsequent activation of Windows.
If after following these instructions you will not be able to activate Windows, you can call Microsoft support. If your copy of operating system do license, you will have to help.