How can I find out what motherboard is installed on the computer
After some time the computer needs to upgrade. Some users prefer to upgrade by buying a new computer, others replace the old components with the new one.
Before purchasing new PC components (graphics card, CPU, RAM, and others) need to know the characteristics and model of the motherboard. This is necessary in order to avoid incompatibility of the components.
For the physical inspection of the installed motherboard is necessary to make disassembly of the system unit.
To produce the disassembly of the system unit, you must:
- the first thing you need to do on the back of the system unit remove the screws;
- then remove the side cover of the system unit;
- once the side cover of the system unit removed, you can proceed to the inspection;
- next, you need to look closely at the front side and find information about the model.
This method is suitable for owners of desktop computers.
Important! Motherboard manufacturers ASUS write the name of the model near the connector «PCI-E» manufacturer «GIGABYTE» is placing information on the Board near the slot of RAM», producer of «MSI» and «ASUS» often place information near the plug «PCI-E».
If the user inexperience can not disassemble the system unit and see what motherboard is installed, then you can use the standard tools of the Windows operating system, like the BIOS and command prompt.
You can also use standard utilities of the operating system.
To use the utility «system Information», you must do the following:
- for starters, you must use the hot key «WIN+R» to bring up a new window Run;
- then on the blank line enter the command «msinfo32» and click on the tab «OK»;
- next, a window will open «system Information» and displays the characteristics of a computer.
Important! Staff utility «system Information» may not display information about the motherboard.
To establish the model, you can use the standard utility Windows «DirectX diagnostic Tool».
To use the «DirectX diagnostic Tool», you must do the following:
- with the keyboard shortcut «WIN+R» to call the dialog box «Run»;
- in the next blank line, enter the command «dxdiag» and click «OK»;
- then open the main utility window, where the line «computer Model» displays information about the model.
Important! The data may not be displayed. In this case, the item «computer Model» will contain information «System Product Name».
Another standard method for the determination of the model is the PostScreen checks. Post check occurs during start of the computer.
Important! Modern computers are Post check almost immediately, so this screen may not be displayed during start PC.
Video: information about bios, motherboard and processor
Through The BIOS
To know the model of the motherboard through the BIOS.
In order to know the model of the motherboard through the BIOS, you must:
- at the start of the computer on the keyboard to press several times press the «Del/Delete» key or «F2» depending on the model of the BIOS;
- then when the main window of the BIOS at the top you can see the name of the motherboard.
- as described in the first case, when you start the computer, on the keyboard several times to press the keys «Del/Delete» key or «F2» depending on the model of the BIOS;
- when you enter the BIOS you must select using the keys on the keyboard «right arrow» tab in the «Advanced BIOS Features» and at the top appears the name of the motherboard.
One of the easiest ways to find out what the motherboard on the computer is through the command line. The user is not required to install any additional software, simply invoke a command prompt window.
To determine the motherboard model using command prompt need to:
- using key combination «WIN+R» to bring up a new window Run;
- then on a blank line, type the command «cmd»;
- next, open a command prompt window where you must enter certain commands.
The first command «wmic baseboard get Manufacturer». Using this command, you can determine the manufacturer of the motherboard;
The second command «wmic baseboard get product». With the command you can directly determine the model of the motherboard;
- then only enter the desired command.
The second method looks like the following:
- using key combination «WIN+R» it is necessary to call the dialog box «Run»;
- in the empty row you need to enter the command «cmd» and click «OK»;
- then in the opened command prompt window type «systeminfo» and press «Enter»;
- after entering the command will display the full technical information about the computer.
The third method of determination using the command-line looks like this:
- using the keys «WIN+R» to call the dialog box «Run»;
- you must then enter the command «cmd» and click on the tab «OK»;
- you must then enter the command «wmic baseboard list full» and press the keyboard «Enter» key. The command «wmic baseboard list full» displays the full description of the Board with all the technical characteristics.
Find out what my motherboard on the computer in Everest
To know model of motherboard can be with the help of specialized software. Everest (today the program is called AIDA64) allows a thorough analysis of the personal computer.
With Everest, you can learn about the technical characteristics of the PC to test the processor (CPU), graphics card (GPU), memory. Everest allows you not only to learn the characteristics of a computer, but to update the driver system, providing the download link on the official website of manufacturers.
Important! The program is distributed quasi-free and has a trial period of 30 days.
A trial version of the program has significant functional limitations.
To know the model and specifications of motherboard in the program should:
- first we need to download the program and install it on your computer;
- you must then run the program from the shortcut on the desktop;
- next, you need in the left column, select the tab «Computer»;
- after that, the window displays the following tabs «summary», «computer Name», «DMI», «IPMI», «Acceleration», «supply», «Portable PC», «Sensor». In this list we need the first paragraph «summary information»;
- next, click on the item and in window displays information about the technical characteristics of your PC, which will display information about the motherboard.
To determine the model of the motherboard in Everest is possible:
- first, you need to click on the tab «motherboard»;
- after that, the window will show the following items «CPU», «CPUID», «motherboard», «Memory», «SPD», «Chipset» and others. You need to choose «motherboard»;
- then in the top of the window shows information about the model of the motherboard.
Program everest is the most effective in model definition and characteristics of the motherboard.
In this article, the methods of determining the motherboard model. You must choose only the most convenient way.