How to find out graphics card my computer on Windows
Before you buy a video card, check how it meets the capabilities of your PC. If your computer is limited in speed and memory is not very large, then a new video card will not work in full force.
What is it?
Video card is a device that converts the image from computer memory into the video monitor. As a rule, it is an expansion Board that is inserted into a special designated socket on the motherboard.
Sometimes, it is integrated in the motherboard. Has an integrated graphics processor (GP), he processes information. In General, this is a device that displays graphical information on a computer display.
Modern video cards is:
- its own memory;
- cooling device;
Important! What kind of power and amount of memory has card, depends on what level of graphics it can handle.
Why do we need to define the map:
- have three-dimensional games of high technical requirements. They simply will not start, if mismatch. However, here is also important and powerful memory of the computer;
- to run HD movies high quality, also have their own requirements, if you have the parameters of the weaker films will not start;
- for applications for which the quality of the graphics does not matter, will be enough existing functions built into the system.
That is, find the video card in the computer need in order to understand meet your preferences, application requirements or not. In any case, you always have the ability to easily define the model of your graphics card, regardless of which OS you have installed.
Video: what video card is installed
The ways to define maps for Windows
This can be done in the presence of documentation on the computer because there you can see all its components. If the documentation is lost, but the operating system is installed, this information can be accessed via the registry and configuration files. (By itself, the registry is a database OS, which contains configuration information.)
But remember, correctly entered in the registry data can lead to malfunction of the system!
To use this method should:
- click «start»;
- go to «control Panel»;
- choose «System»;
- go to «device Manager«;
- choose «display Adapters»:
If, instead of the name in the «device Manager» says «standard VGA graphics adapter», the system when installed are unable to detect your card, or rather its model name, or identified, but have not found the correct driver. In this connection, it installed a standard video driver that your card may work, but will not be used all functions.
To make them visible, you need to (if missing or lost CD with drivers) to find them on the Internet, download and install the driver for your adapter. If you have the disk, great, install it, then in device Manager, this name will be displayed and the card will fully work.
In order to determine what driver you need to install we recommend using a special program (read about it below).
- click menu «start»;
- then «Configuration»;
- select «control Panel»;
- next «Screen»;
- go to section «configuring screen settings».
Advanced PC users can quickly get information using this method. He’s pretty effective and fast.
Attention! This method is not recommended for beginners in the field of computers.
Computer information is also available via the command line:
- click on the main menu «start»;
- select «Run», or press the key combination Windows + R (keyboard button «Windows» may be referred to by the emblem of Windows – developing flag, divided in 4 parts);
- enter the query «dxdiag« (without the quotes of course);
- press Enter. To run dxdiag in OS Windows 8 start search panel can be done by simultaneously pressing the keys: — (Win)+Q;
- after the window is loaded, select the tab «Display» (for Windows XP) or navigate to «Screen»if you have Windows 7;
In these tabs you will find the necessary information about the system and your video card.
The shortcut menu screen
This is another way to know the model of your card.
Algorithm of actions:
- click the right mouse button on an empty place on your Desktop. So you call up the context menu;
- select «Properties» (if you’re using Windows XP) or «screen Resolution» (if you’re using Windows 7);
- in the displayed window, select the «advanced settings».
The system will display a screen that it indicates the model of the graphics card.
Where is the shortcut to «My computer» and what he looks like, he knows even a beginner. Therefore, this path is used by many users.
After completing the steps, you can easily obtain the necessary information:
- on your desktop, click on the icon «My computer» (click the right mouse button);
- then choose «Properties»;
- in the window «system Properties»;
- click on the tab «equipment»;
- then click «device Manager» and you will be taken to a window which will list all the devices that are installed on the computer. To find the graphics card in your computer, go to «display adapters» and see its name.
As a rule, even if the disk with valuable driver lost, then when you install Linux, this driver is determined. Modern systems have a built-in set of drivers for various devices, while they themselves, often automatically select and install the correct driver.
Using the program Everest
As you know, the most convenient and professional way to identify installed on the computer equipment is the use of special programs. Such a program is EVEREST.
The algorithm used is very simple:
- install and open the program;
- go to the tab «Menu«;
- from there select «Device – Device Windows«;
- right click on the tab «display Adapters«.
How to know the graphics card of your computer, if the driver is not installed?
All above mentioned ways of action can be useful if you have installed the video driver, and video adapter can be defined by the system. But what about when you have reinstalled Windows or if the driver was deleted? How to find out what video card is on the computer in this case?
Here you will come to the aid of various useful utilities. Good small program that is designed to work with graphics card – Gpu-zto Find out the model of the map of your computer program Gpu-Z will help you to literally one click of the mouse.
It will not only give you information about the installed in the system map, but will show detailed information about its characteristics. Does not require installation, which makes it even more attractive. The utility will display the window below, where you will see the options:
Also this will help the program PC Wizard 2008. It is free, there is a portable version and multi-language interface. In addition, it has a feature that allows you to keep a detailed configuration report in HTML table, which will not take up much space.
All of these programs provide the most complete and detailed information not only about the specific video card, but the system as a whole. Ways to determine the model and capabilities of your video card a lot. Everyone chooses a suitable. Moreover, if the driver is not defined, you can use a special utility that will display all the parameters.