How to create a bootable USB flash drive Ultraiso in Windows
To install Windows, you need either a boot disk with the distro, or a bootable flash drive. Stick recently a very popular and convenient, is therefore advisable to do download with them.
There are many ways and apps to create a bootable flash drives. Most simply this can be done using Ultraiso.
It’s very functional, intuitive to use software tool. For its operation you should perform the installation after downloading the distribution program, and prepare the operating system image.
Why make the installation USB flash drive
Often in the operation of operating system the event of an emergency, in which the operating system either not start at all or runs with critical failures. To fully protect yourself from such situations is impossible, so you need to know how to behave.
In the best case of operating system problems can be corrected through the built-in restore function of Windows, which of course need to run if the feature is present.
In a situation when this is not possible, you should try to boot from the installation CD or the installation USB flash drive.
An extreme situation occurs when no backups of the operating system and user data, implies her Preinstallation. Based on this, you should always have an OS image. It can be used for the new installation, restore the old OS or reinstalling.
In most situations, the distribution of Windows store on DVD. But the probability of losing data on DVD is significant due to the fact that he is subjected to physical influences. After all, only one small scratch can make the disk inoperative.
This shortage is deprived of a flash drive, it is therefore advisable to keep your operating system on it. The installation process for Windows c USB drive is similar to the process of the installation from the DVD. An additional advantage of the stick before the DVD is its more compact size.
To create a bootable USB stick, besides the media data, you will need an image of the operating system and specialized software with similar functionality. Such programs are many, but we will consider the utility UltraISO, which you must first download and install to your hard drive.
It is designed specifically to work with iso images and burn them to media, allows you to make boot disks, flash drives. The undoubted advantage of the considered utility is a user-friendly interface.
In addition to the generation and recording of image files, also allows you to make changes to the disk images. An important feature that is of great value, is the ability to create boot media disks and flash drives. In addition, the utility is able to convert image files into the ISO format if the existing image of the OS disk will be stored in a different format.
A shortcoming of this tool you can assume that it is paid, but there is a trial period for free use. Can be used free of charge version of the program UltraISO, with certain limitations.
It is important to know that all information from USB drive must be stored in other secure place, as all the data when creating the install drive will be destroyed.
Video: bootable flash drive with Ultraiso
If there is no OS image
Often there are situations when the operating system image is missing. The solution to this problem is very trivial. It can be created, either using Windows installation disc or through specialized programs, of which there are many, some of them are completely free.
The sequence of actions is:
- you need to run UltraISO from the user with administrator rights;
- in the utility window, select «Tools — Create an OS image»;
- next, you confirm your selection by pressing the button «Done».
Which results in starting the image capture process, where the recording is completed the program will offer to open the image. It is recommended to abandon this action.
Create a bootable USB flash drive using UltraISO
Consider the sequence of actions to create a bootable USB drive from Windows 8 ISO image. Bootable USB drive with the previous OS are created similarly no apparent differences.
- you should run the utility from UltraISO user with administrator rights the workstation;
- at the top of the utility window you need to click the «Open» button;
- in opened Explorer to select the desired (previously stored) the image of the operating system (in our case Windows 8 Pro) and confirm the action by clicking on the «Open» button. Thus in the right half of the tool window displays the operating system image;
- insert into the appropriate connector on the flash drive which will be bootable. Its volume should not be less than 4 GB, otherwise the OS image simply will not fit on it. It is also important that it was formatted to FAT32. It is possible to directly write the image format, or regular means of Windows or by using UltraISO;
- then in the active application window, select the «Bootstrapping», and then in the context menu to note the menu item «Burn image hard disk…»;
- after opening the window you need to verify you are using the correct disk to create the installation media. It is important to ensure that the disk drives corresponds to the correct letter of the alphabet;
- on the tab «write Method» should be noted «USB-HDD+», then any formatting of the storage medium or image capture Windows;
- if the external media has already been preformatted, then you should click the «Burn» button;
- window opens «Hint» warning about the possible loss of all data on the USB drive. In this window you must click on the «Yes» button;
- then starts the stage of formation of the OS image on the flash drive. Create an install drive for Windows. The duration of the installation media was created due to the performance of the workstation. After some time, the OS image will be recorded onto a flash drive. In the opened window, a message will appear informing about the positive end of the formation process of the installation media;
- when you are finished creating the installation drive are encouraged to complete the utility work.
In completing these steps, it is recommended to verify the correctness of shaping the image of Windows on a USB drive. When opening it will display the saved image of Windows 8. The sequence of actions in shaping the image of Windows 7 is the same and does not contain significant differences.
It is important to know that for installing Windows in the BIOS is required to set the sequence of boot devices. To attempt downloading need with a flash drive.
The need for a bootable USB drive occurs intermittently. The reason for this need can become a failure in the operating system and the disruption of «hardware». From such problems one hundred percent to protect themselves no one has the opportunity, and the presence of pre-created bootable flash drive would help without losing time and significant effort to solve the problems.
There are several ways to make a bootable disk or USB flash drive.
The main ones:
- with the help of specialized programs such as UltraISO;
- the standard Windows console command prompt.
To create a bootable USB flash drive with Ultraiso can easily even by the untrained user, as the program is very intuitive and convenient.