How to set SSD under Windows 7 – instructions for user
Windows 7 was not originally designed to work on SSD. Since that time, as they appeared, Microsoft has released numerous updates designed to improve the performance of OS on SSDs. However, it is necessary to perform additional optimizations by hand, which gives much more effect.
SSD (Solid State Drive) is a data storage device based on flash memory and master controller.
They are widely used in computing and have several advantages over HDDs:
- high speed;
- impact resistance;
- temperature resistance;
- the small size and weight;
In Windows 8 and above, they are stable and fast, but running an older OS, the inevitable problems with wear and performance. To avoid this, you need to optimize the parameters, and what the focus of this article.
That gives the optimization
In Windows 7 there are several services that increase the performance of conventional hard drives. But with SSD, they are not only useless, but interfere with and significantly reduce the service life of the device. Setting Windows 7 on SSD negates all attempts by the OS to destroy it, and allows for greater productivity.
Higher speed of SSDs?
Even if you compare the maximum according to the manufacturer, the speed of read/write, the difference will be huge.
The linear speed of SSDs is higher 3-4 times.
A typical hard drive can rarely demonstrate a read speed of 180 MB/s. At the same time, he does not waste time to move the head and focus on reading.
For a regular SSD, such as Kingston SKC380S3 limit is 550 MB/s for reading and 520 for writing. In the linear read mode, it uses all channels and reads data in large blocks. However, if you conduct a deeper analysis of the performance superiority of SSDs will be even more impressive.
When you test the read speed of the block size of 512 KB (smaller files), the gap becomes even greater. SSD does not spend a lot of time on the search block, whereby its speed remains in the range of 500 MB/s. the Hard disk spends more time on moving the head, than to read the files. Its speed is reduced three times and an average of 60 MB/s, which is 8 times slower than SSD.
If, however, to delve into the tests and check the speed on blocks of 4 KB, the SSD will pass Winchester 50 times. Download OS, copying of documents, small images, and running programs – all this corresponds to the operation mode. In addition, solid-state drives can work simultaneously with several queries and HDD – single-threaded.
Video: how to configure the system to work
Setup an SSD in Windows 7
This process requires patience and involves the following procedures:
- firmware update;
- checking TRIM and AHCI;
- disabling or moving the page file;
- turn off indexing;
- disabling protection and recovery;
- the rejection of hibernation.
Configure Windows 7 for SSD begins with the drive firmware. All manufacturers regularly release new versions of the software for their devices, which eliminates the weaknesses of the previous versions. You can download it from the official websites of the brand. Complete with also usually there is an instruction on installing and updating the firmware.
AHCI and TRIM
The SATA interface has many features that speed up data exchange. In order to make them visible, you need to enable the AHCI controller, since most PC’s are still by default configured to work with legacy ATA-controller. Switch to AHCI it is possible both automatically and manually.
- download Microsoft Fix IT utility;
- to run it;
- restart the computer and enter the BIOS;
- in the BIOS set the SATA mode: AHCI.
During the next launch of Windows 7 will do the rest itself. If for some reason it does not work, you can do everything manually.
- to enter the registry;
- go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlsetservicesmsahci;
- to access the parameter «Start» and change its value to «0».
As a result, after restart in device Manager you will see the AHCI controller.
With AHCI is finished, turn the TRIM command. It helps the OS to notify the SSD about what data the file system no longer contains, and what the drive can delete. That is, this command removes the debris and does not allow him to reduce the level of performance.
To enable TRIM, if the following conditions are met:
- controller solid-state drive supports this command;
- enabled SATA mode: AHCI.
If the conditions are met – you can go to enable TRIM:
- in the menu «start» in the search bar enter cmd;
- in the search results, select the file cmd.exe and run it as administrator;
- start command prompt where you want to register: «fsutil behavior query|set DisableDeleteNotify = 0»;
- confirm by pressing Enter.
Cut-off protection system
The instruction is pretty simple:
- open the control Panel;
- in the search bar, type «System protection»;
- in the search results, select «System»;
- to open «system Protection»;
- select system partition and click «Customize»;
- disable protection of the system;
- apply the changes and close the window.
It is important to understand that by disabling the protection, the OS will not do a restore point and if it fails to resort to Windows recovery will be impossible. So you should use the software of other developers to ensure recovery functions, such as Acronis True Image.
Disable indexing of the drive
Indexing is carried out only in order to speed up the search process on the hard disk. Given the multithreading SSD and its performance, the service of indexing and searching not needed.
- on the desktop or in «start menu» click on «Computer» the right button and choose «computer Management»;
- in the panel that opens, go to the services and applications -> services;
- looking for and disable the search service.
- open «Computer»;
- click the right mouse button on the partition -> Properties;
- at the bottom of the window that opens remove the check box «allow indexing…»;
- apply and close the window.
Along the way there you can disable the Defrag is useless on SSDS because of the rapid access to the cells.
You can do this:
- clicking the tools tab -> Optimize;
- selecting and clicking change parameters.
- removing the check mark from the item «run on schedule».
The paging file is necessary to run programs requiring large memory. If the RAM is not enough, the temporary data loaded into this file. Disable it only if the computer has enough RAM (at least 8GB). Otherwise it is better to move the swap to another partition, that is on the hard drive.
- open system properties (right click on «computer» -> properties keyboard shortcut Win+Break -> change settings);
- go to the «Advanced» tab;
- under «performance» go to «settings»;
- under virtual memory select «change»;
- remove the check mark from «Automatically»;
- to disable paging on partition C and to include any other.
Hibernate or deep sleep the computer was invented by Microsoft to ensure that the computer did not spend a lot of time to run. This feature allows you to power off the computer without closing the app. The subsequent revival of the work of all programs continues.
At the same time during the dive PC to sleep, on the storage device is written a large amount of data and SSD wears out faster. Many hibernation is not necessary, since a PC with a solid state drive boots up very quickly.
If you disable hibernation, then it can be done like this:
- run command prompt as administrator (start -> search bar -> cmd -> right click on cmd.exe);
- typed the command: «powercfg -h off»;
- press Enter.
SSD Tweak Utility
To optimize the system to use the SSD drive automatically, you can use SSD Tweak Utility. The program allows you to quickly and easily do everything that was outlined above, in addition to enabling AHCI mode. The program is published with a different set of tools.
There is a free version with basic functionality:
- disable defragmentation;
- disabling recovery;
- stop indexing.
In the paid version Tweaker Pro is available and other functions:
- enabling and disabling services;
- settings hibernation;
- experimental verification and optimization of the TRIM command.
The program is subject to and more configuration, which includes a lot more options. After starting the program in the right part of the window you can see a detailed description and tips for setting up the system.
To start the optimization, just click the big button in the middle of the program window – configuration auto-configuration. The utility itself will configure basic settings and report back.
Tweak and optimize Windows 7 for SSD is a long process involving multiple reboots of the system and visits in the BIOS. However, if you do not hold the setting without disable unneeded services, then a few months later, the once fast SSD can exhaust your supply of write cycles and stop working.
To avoid this, after each reinstallation of system, it is necessary to carry out its optimization. This can be done manually or automatically using utilities SSD Tweaker.