How to configure router Netgear N300
In this article we will look at connecting Netgear N300 router to a personal computer, connecting to a wireless network, as well as popular Internet service providers.
Consider these important details how to set up IPTV, device firmware upgrade and restore configuration.
So, how to connect router Netgear N300 to the computer?
This can be done in the following way:
- insert the power supply into the socket;
- connect the WAN cable (from ISP) to the router;
- connect one of the LAN ports on the router with the network card slot on the system unit.
Now go to configure the network card to automatically obtain an IP address.
For Windows 7 you must follow the following steps:
- go to menu start and in the search bar enter the phrase «view network»;
- in the list that appears, click on the top option – «View network connections»;
- then find «local area Connection» and using the right mouse button, open «Properties»;
- in the tab «Network» click on «Internet Protocol version 4» and «Properties»;
- here you must make sure that the active two values, allowing to obtain IP and DNS addresses automatically;
- confirm by pressing «OK».
If you are using Windows XP, the process will look different:
- go to menu «start» then «control Panel» and «Network connections»;
- select «local area Connection» and «Properties»;
- in the «General» tab find «Internet Protocol»;
- activate automatically obtain IP and DNS addresses, click «OK».
After this procedure will be assigned internal IP address for the current computer.
The entrance to the interface
To enter the interface of the router in any browser enter the following URL: http://192.168.1.1. Will appear the login window where you must specify the username and password (username is «admin» and the password is «password») that will allow access to the user interface.
How to configure WIFI router Netgear N300
Next, we consider the connectivity options with the use of dynamic IP and its nuances for specific providers.
Connection Dynamic IP
Some providers use connection dynamic IP, i.e. the address which is assigned to the device during a connection and is used only until the session ends.
To configure this connection, you need to:
- in the router menu go to «Internet»;
- in the option «Required when connecting…» indicated «No»;
- if the service provider uses the reference MAC address in the appropriate section (bottom of page) enable the option to use the MAC address of your PC;
- save the changes by pressing «Apply».
PPPoE for Rostelecom, TTK and House.ru
Rostelecom, TTK and House.ru use connection type as «PPPoE».
Follow the following instructions to configure them:
- go to the tab «Internet» menu of the router;
- in «Required when connecting…» select the option «Yes»;
- «Connection type» you specify «PPPoE»;
- next, the window «Logon» specified data that is used when connecting to network (received by the provider);
- specify the mode to «Always on» in the settings section of the IP address agree with his automatic receipt from the provider (usually active by default).
House.ru is bound to the MAC address, so it is necessary to conduct some additional manipulations similar to those described in the previous paragraph. In the section «MAC address», agree at your PC.
L2TP for Beeline
For Beeline connection will be different from those described above, because this statement uses the connection type L2TP.
In this case, do the following:
- open the menu of the router and go to the «Internet»;
- specify «Yes» to «Required when connecting…»;
- in the column «connection Type» choose «L2TP»;
- in the fields «Login» enter information to connect to the network, which were issued by the service provider;
- The IP address of the server is input manually: «tp.internet.beeline.ru»;
- connection mode, leave «Always on»;
- check that the»Internet IP address» was specified to»Obtain automatically from ISP»;
- save the changes.
Go to the settings of the wireless connection:
- in the router interface go to the section «Wi-Fi network»;
- in the line «Name (SSID)» give the name of the new network;
Please note! Calling the wireless network it is better to start her name with a capital letter, as some devices (e.g., tablets or phones) is not always correctly perceived the name with a capital letter.
- in the field «Channel» , specify «Auto»and «Mode» – «up To 300Mbps»;
- open the section «security Settings», then select «WPA2-PSK» and the string «passphrase» specify the key for the newly created connection (can consist of letters and numbers at least 8 characters);
- click «Apply» and save changes.
The connection is created and ready to work.
Before you start the IPTV settings for the N300 NETGEAR, you should consider one thing: in the case when the use of IPTV requires specifying the Vlan ID, it will not work, as it can only allocate a single port and send to it the incoming stream.
If you do not, then we just need to specify the port to which you connected the STB set-top box:
- go to router settings and select «Advanced mode»;
- go to «settings» and then «Options Internet port»;
- check to checkbox «Disable IGMP proxy» was not ticked (usually ticked off by default);
- find «Redirect IPTV stream for the console» and specify the port to which you connect or plan to connect the STB set-top box;
- save the changes click «Apply».
Despite the apparent complexity of the process, the firmware of the router, it is possible to do yourself. This requires two files – the firmware needed for direct upgrades, and configuration for the next configuration of the device.
Where to find them and step by step instructions next:
- retrieved WAN cable from the respective connector of the router;
- connect your computer to one of LAN ports of the device;
- go to any installed browser and in the address line, specify «http://192.168.1.1»;
- user interface will appear, which can be accessed using the login and password (the default value is «admin» for username and «password» for password);
- the top of the page find the line containing the number of the current firmware;
- click on «Choose file» and specify a folder on your computer where you saved the firmware file;
- select «Send», and then begin the installation process;
- wait for its completion without disconnecting the powered device and without removing the cables.
If you go to the web settings page does not work (prerequisite for # 4), you must first return the device to its factory configurations.
This can be done in the following way:
- find on the rear panel of the router the reset button located in a small cavity;
- hold it in with a pen or paperclip for about 10 seconds;
- after I start flashing – release the button and wait for reboot;
- included in the device menu using the default password.
Video: Netgear wireless N300
There are times when to reset, this is not enough, then additional steps are required:
- turn off the power supply of the router and hold the reset button;
- while holding it, turn on the device;
- wait about 20 seconds after turn-on when the router will flash again and reboot;
- use the default password to log in.
After updating the firmware, you must configure the router using the configuration file:
- connect the computer and LAN port of the device;
- go to the «Manage settings» and then «Restore settings»;
- here is a downloadable file through the web interface of the router (option «Choose file») and save it on your computer;
- click «Send» and wait for the automatic reboot;
- after starting to re-enter the login name and password («admin» and «password»).
Attention! When you restore the standard settings of your router, it stops to ask username and password when you connect external devices. This may cause your network to connect wireless devices, such as, neighbors. You can fix this by setting a new username and password in the router menu.
Hope this information helped you to cope with device setup and answered all the questions. Don’t forget to add this page to your bookmarks for future use.