How to configure router Linksys WRT54gl
Router Lynksys WRT54GL — essential revision WRT54G, model 2003. As a model WRT54G and it contains a flash memory of 4 MB and 16 MB RAM. The feature of Open source Linux-based. The latter gives the possibility of using third-party firmware: HyperWRT, OpenWRT, Sveasoft and dd-wrt.
They allow you to achieve more output power, antenna signal, provide new opportunities in the organization of the administration and monitoring of network activity.
Configuring the router Lynksys WRT54GL, its firmware, and configuring the PPPoE, IPTV, L2TP requires time. Let’s try to understand all the features of this router.
Connect Lynksys WRT54GL to PC occurs in the following order:
- The Ethernet cable that is supplied, you must connect to the LAN port;
- the Ethernet cable from ISP connected to the WAN port of the router;
- connect power supply unit to the Power connector and then to the mains.
Input into the settings
In the router’s delivery package included a CD. The setup wizard will automatically configure your network interface to automatically obtain IP addresses. Go to the menu of the device.
Lynksys WRT54GL has a web interface for configuration. We can choose any browser.
To go into the router settings you need:
- go to address bar and type 192.168.1.1 then hit Enter;
A dialog box will appear
- by default, the router has the IP address 192.168.1. Subnet mask — 255.255.255.0, exposed to your computer. The user name and password are both admin. Fill in the fields and press Eneter;
In this connection your Lynksys WRT54GL to the computer ends. Go to the settings and Wi-Fi Internet access point.
Consider the web interface of the router:
- the Setup of the UI contains the following sections: Basic Setup, MAC address clone DDNS Advanced Routing. Use the type of connection offered by the provider;
- in the same section, change the subnet mask and the address of the internal interface of the router. This allows you to use your MAC address to access the Internet. Changes made in the field bookmarks MAC Adress Clone;
- DDNS tab to configure a Dynamic DNS service;
- Advanced Routing tab, through which you can select the RIP (dynamic routing), as well as two operating mode Gateway or Router.
- in the dialog box, «Setup» select «Basic setup». Set your time zone;
- menu select Wireless Mixеd. Mode 802.11 b and 802.11 g;
- in the field of Wireless» network name (SSID) enter the name of the wireless connection;
- in the field «SSID Broadcast», it is desirable to disable the newsletter to ensure security of the network;
- impute perechodnik Wireless, Wireless security. Set mode WPA2 or WPA. In case of impossibility to support your hardware, these modes use WEP. Avoid opening your network;
- if you select encryption modes WPА2/WPА, use the following configuration:
- Security mode — it is advisable to choose WPА2/WPА;
- WPА algоritms — selecting TKIP+AES allows the simultaneous work WPА2/WPА;
- WPА Shared key — the password you choose to log on to the network;
- Group key Renewal — the period of time through which there is a change of key;
- in the case WЕP encryption mode:
- Default Transmit key — use key number which is encrypted;
- WEP Encription is the maximum size of the encryption key;
- Passphrase key generator.
10. saved using Savesetting.
- in box Secure Easy Setup (Wireless/Advanced Wireless) shavkhalov Disable. This will allow to avoid changes in the configuration of the router by accidentally pressing the buttons of the front panel;
- menu Administration/Mаnagement;
Password and Re-enter to confirm re-enter the password to access the switch:
- Access server using HTTPS;
- Wireless Access Web — ispolzuemye Enable;
- Remote management — turn off control of the router from the Internet;
- UPnP is a set of protocols used to automatically configure various software. Leave it enabled.
- Save the changes using Save settings.
Your Lynksys ready to work in the Internet.
PPPoE for Rostelecom
To connect to this provider use the following steps:
- in section Steup go to the Connection tab Setup. Use a PPPoE connection;
- fill in the fields User Name. Use data agreement, or contact technical support;
- no other change is required. Click Save Setting.
L2TP for Beeline
Connecting to Beeline passes through the following algorithm:
- go to the section Sеtup, Basic Setup in the drop down menu Internet Connection Type, stop on L2TP;
- fill in the fields User name — the user Name and password specified in the contract with the provider;
- in the Password field enter the password. It is specified in the agreement;
- in the field Server IP enter the L2TP server IP address VPN service provider.
- the box Keep Alive: Redial Period Tavistock. It is necessary to connect to the network with the specified interval;
- save the changes. Click Save setting.
IPTV — the transmission Protocol television signal over the Internet.
This connection occurs according to the following algorithm:
- updated the firmware of the switch via the manufacturer’s website dd-wrt;
- in разделеАdministration selectable Commands;
- in the text box, enter the following script:
- route add -net 126.96.36.199/4 gw x.x.x.x
- for i in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*;
- do echo 0 > $i/rp_filter;
- echo «phyint ppp0 disabled» /tmp/igmpproxy.conf;
- killall -9 igmprt;
- sleep 1;
- igmprt -c /tmp/igmpproxy.conf
In this case, «x.x.x.x»gateway of the local network in the «Contract service provider».
- press Save Startup;
- restarting the router. Go to the tab Management and click Reboot;
- go to the tab Security, select the Firewall tab and remove the check mark in the box to Filter multicast.
Multicast is responsible for transit data. It should be noted that for streaming full-screen video, wired Internet is better than.
Video: install dd-wrt on a Linksys WRT54GL router
On this model there is a large number of firmware, third-party developers. To ensure the work on IPTV Protocol, we have used dd-wrt. Download the latest version of the program we can from the manufacturer’s website.
In the future, adhere to the following algorithm:
- after you select the switch model, the site offers a large selection of options. Most popular Micro and Mini. Stop the choice on mini;
- do a hard reset to the router hold down the RESET clamped within 30 seconds. Food remains included and download the program from the website;
- disable antivirus and firewall.
- go to the browser interface the Administration section and choose Firmware Upgrade;
- click browse. Select the file (extension:*.bin) and select Upgrade;
In the window that appears, the switch informs about the installation process of the new firmware dd-wrt and asks not to interrupt the process in few minutes.
Within a few minutes, power off the router is unacceptable! Turn off the power and do not touch the Reset button.
- after the installation is complete, a window Upgrade is successful;
- click Reset and wait 10 seconds, then switch on the power supply;
- performed a hard reset.
Don’t forget to change the router settings for viewing live IPTV (discussed above).
After a reboot, the Linksys WRT54GL is ready to work. dd-wrt picks up the operating frequency of your router with 200 MHz up to 250 MHz without additional cooling. Besides the above-mentioned IPTV, German firmware turns your router into a Linux server with all its possibilities.
Interesting solutions are offered with the new firmware Polarcloud Tomato v.1.28. The convenient interface, possibility of detailed monitoring of logs, more advanced QOS and access restrictions. There is a possibility of reprogramming the buttons the front panel of the device.
In this Polarcloud don’t forget to remind that the manufacturer is not liable in case of failure of your equipment at fault, they released the software.
It is worth noting that you can always do a rollback to the original firmware using support Linksys:
- download the file into a temporary directory — Temp;
- off the power;
- holding Rеset, turning on the power, then release the Reset after 10 seconds.
- computer connected to the router via LAN cord;
- in command prompt write:
- cd Temp
- tftp-i 192.168.1.1 put [filename].bin
- Press enter after each line.
The beep will stop flicker light bulb Power. After a 30-second break push Reset. Rollback is completed.
Despite his age, LinksysWRT54gl remains a popular model. Scalability, wireless WDS, remote access — the reason for the success.
German distro dd-wrt makes real: VPN/OpenVPN, PHP, MySQL, HTTP server, QoS management, etc. Plus — programming functions of the main buttons, limiting the number of downloads and nice user interface.
Third-party firmware that turns the router into the server machine, the comfort level, the ability to change antennas and increase the communication range up to 700 m, all of which makes Linksys WRT54gl relevant choice today.