How to configure ASUS router RT N66U
In our time, the lion’s share of users decide to configure the equipment yourself. This contributes to the countless information available in the Internet.
Network equipment is relatively complex. It deals with the task of home values. However, having all the necessary information, you can implement this without much difficulty. Next, you will detail all the values, protocols, and types of encryption you want to use.
Connecting the router
Tweaking router ASUS RT N66U starts directly from the connection of the device. To do this, do the following:
- get the router out of the factory box;
- tighten the antenna and an attached power supply;
Tip: place the device closer to the computer so that the signal was most powerful.
- get the cable with connectors RJ-45. It needs to be in the set;
- one end is inserted into the appropriate connector on the router and the second computer (or laptop);
- Internet cable (provided by your ISP) attached to the LAN connector on the router;
Tip: if you can’t understand where that connector, read the manual.
Now it is necessary to ensure the proper operation of the equipment on the computer.
To do this, do the following:
- push the start button;
- in the resulting menu, select «control panel», then «network and Internet»;
- now click on the panel of the network control center;
- find the standard «local area connection». He may also end standing figure;
- open the properties of this connection (via context menu);
- a list of protocols. In it we find «Internet Protocol TCP/IPv4». Click on it double click. Should be checked at the points of the obtain DNS server and IP address. If not, then put.
At this preliminary manipulation is over. If you are dealing with used device, it is best to reset the original settings on standard. To do this, find the button «Reset» and press it with a pen (or something else) and hold for 30 seconds. As a result, everything is reset.
Now you need to authorize. This is necessary in order to get to the web interface.
- open any browser;
- in the address bar typed 192.168.1.1;
- in the name field — admin. The password is exactly the same.
Configuring connection to the Internet
Now you need to configure different protocols. Depending on your provider they will be different. Select the tab «advanced options» (located on the left). In it, select WAN.
The Protocol is necessary for stable operation on the operator Onlime.
Settings should be:
- view WAN — PPPoE;
- obtaining IP addresses automatically.
- in the fields user name and password you need to enter information provided by your ISP. To do this, open your contract;
- MTU — 1472;
- in the end you need to click on the «apply» button so that all changes came into force.
This Protocol is necessary to work on the provider Beeline. And here problems should arise.
Make it so:
- view WAN — L2TP;
- WAN is enabled;
- NAT is enabled;
- UPnP is enabled, set all «Yes»;
- put a check mark in the fields of obtaining DNS and IP;
- the user name and password from your ISP;
- you will also need to record the vpn server indicated in the contract;
Important! The host name must be written in English.
- the remaining values can be left unchanged.
Such parameters allow to obtain the local IP address automatically:
- view WAN — RTR;
- include the following items: WAN, NAT, UPnP;
- obtaining DNS and IP set to automatic;
- the username and password according to the contract;
- in-line Heart-Beat recorded the IP address provided in the agreement;
- select «Apply».
NAT with automatic dynamic IP address (DHCP)
It’s all much simpler:
- view WAN — dynamic IP;
- that’s about it.
NAT with static IP address (no DHCP)
- view WAN — RTR;
- disable automatic obtaining of IP and DNS;
- enter these data under the contract. You will also need to drive the network mask, default gateway;
- in-line Heart-Beat trying to drive the ip according to the contract;
- click «apply».
Configuring IPTV on the router ASUS RT N66U
Today, many people enjoy this online TV. This is due to the accessibility and excellent quality of this compound.
To configure the device to work with it, you must do the following:
- select the tab «local network». In it we find the IPTV;
- activate the paragraph multicast routing;
- enable Enable efficient multicast forwarding;
- select the «apply»button.
If you want to view IPTV by means of Wi-Fi, do the following:
- go to the menu «Wireless network»;
- Select the item «professional»;
- recorded the required range (2, 4);
- activate the Enable Wireless Multicast Forwarding;
- applied changes.
WI — FI
Perhaps the most important purpose of this device is access to Wi-Fi. Configure it is very simple. According to the specifications of the ASUS RT-N66U supports dual-band high-speed network speed up to 900 Mbps.
This allows to provide very high speed access to the Internet.
You need to do the following:
- open the «additional options»;
- in it, select «wireless network»;
Tip: here you can specify user data for both radio units.
- in the SSID field, you need to drive the name of the wireless network. Do it without error;
- the authentication type should be set to WPA2-Personal. This, of course, not necessarily. However, this technique will provide maximum safety;
- encryption method, AES or TKIP;
- as a preliminary key, you can enter any combination of letters and numbers. However, the harder the better. Don’t forget to write it down;
- if you do, don’t forget that the SSID on both networks must be different;
- applied changes.
Change the factory default password
Now you will need to change the factory password. It is necessary, because otherwise anyone can you to connect. Experienced users recommend the password to paste the characters from Word. Of course, not all the providers possible.
If you use telnet, no special characters cannot be used. Only numbers and Latin letters.
Perform the following manipulation:
- find the New Password field. It imposed an elaborate and the most complex password;
- repeat it in the Retype New Password item. At the same time to paste from the clipboard;
- choose the NEXT button;
If the cable was already inserted, it opens a page with the assignment of other parameters. The device erroneously determines the connection automatically obtain the ip.
So you will need to set some values manually:
- The SSID (this is the network name) — specify the name of the network;
- key — enter the password. Select it as complicated as possible, but don’t forget to record it;
- activate the option Copy 2.4 GHz to 5GHz. This will allow you to transfer the settings from 2.4 GHz. Otherwise, you will need to set them manually.
- click Apply;
- opens the preview window. Study it and select NEXT;
- then open another tab. After reviewing it, push the end of the operation (the Finish button). As a result, you will be automatically redirected to the home page.
Video: setting up the Asus router
Situations in life can be different. For example, you may need to reinstall the operating system. Such manipulation requires prolonged and time-consuming editing.
To make your life easier, you can save the settings of the router. If necessary, you can recover them.
To do this, perform the following manipulation:
- go into the interface device;
- open the tab «advanced settings»;
- it go to «administration»;
- then, select «restore/save/upload settings»;
- now click on the «save» button. This will save the current settings in a file on your hard disk. You must specify a location;
Tip: move the file to removable media in case of unforeseen circumstances.
- to recover this file and activate the settings you will need to press the button to select the file. Then find it on the hard (or other) drive and click send.
- be careful: if you tap the button «recover», then all parameters will return to factory mode.
That’s about it. As you can see, working with this equipment the process is very simple. Important to have the correct information. If you still have problems, you can use different software which creates a connection in automatic mode.