How to enable display of hidden files and folders Windows 7, XP?
Hidden files and folders
in Windows, files and folders may be hidden. That is, in the properties of a folder or file is «hidden» attribute and see or enter into this folder, for example, through the «My Computer» will not work.
Often hidden folders are doing critical system files that the user can not remove or modify important files. But in hidden folders may also be hidden and viruses.
The folder in which Windows XP and Windows 7 stores temporary files, that is rubbish, is also hidden.
How to enable display of hidden and system files and folders
There are times when you need to open access to hidden and system folders, Windows 7 or XP. For example, to find and remove hidden virus files manually, or clean a temporary folder. The following is a step by step instructions on how to enable display of hidden files and folders in Windows XP and Windows 7
Access to hidden files and folders in Windows XP
1. Open My Computer . In the menu bar, select Tools — Folder Options .
2. In the window that opens, click on the tab View and uncheck Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) . Paragraph Hidden files and folders make an active item Show hidden files and folders .
3. Also recommend to uncheck the Hide extensions for known file types to be displayed in the folders of all extensions of files.
Otherwise, the extensions of files that are associated with installed programs do not appear. That is, if you installed Word, then .doc file extension is not displayed. Under this often will adapt the virus files. After the extension .exe (executable file) is not shown. Typically, viruses have the .exe icon MS Word document, video, or other common program. Assuming that you open a video file or document, you run the file extension .exe, which is an executable file — that is, the program virus.
To avoid such misunderstandings, just helpful to see the true extension of the executable file. To do this, uncheck the specified item in the list.
Now click OK. The window closes, and Explorer will show all the folders, including hidden.
Access to hidden files and folders in Windows 7
1. Navigate to Start — Control Panel
2. Select Appearance and Personalization
3. Select Folder Options
4. Click View . Remove the check mark at the point of the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) . Turn the item Show hidden files, folders, and drives .
5. It is also recommended to uncheck the Hide extensions for known file types . The answer to the question «why» is given in the third paragraph of the previous chapter.
Click OK. Now all the folders files will be displayed, including hidden and system.