Creating and configuring VPN connections for Windows
Technology Virtual Private Network – the generalized name of the method of switching between different computers or other devices within another environment. Can be used with various cryptographic protection, thereby increasing the security of data transmission. In many cases very important, especially for networks of various large companies and banks.
What is VPN
The abbreviation VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. In fact, this connection type allows you to create a dedicated area in the existing environment. Included in her machine can see printer, hard drives and other shared equipment, which is quite convenient. At the same time, no one else in this highlighted area can not.
In order to create and connect environment of this species, it is necessary to have a minimum knowledge of computer and Windows operating system. To implement this operation is necessary in order to perform actions of:
- go to the control panel through the start button located at the bottom left of the screen («start» — «control Panel»);
- in the window that appears you must click on:
- «Viewing task status» — if enabled the category view;
- «Control center network and sharing» — if enabled displays the classic style;
- switching between different types can be accomplished in just a single tap on the checkmark at the top right corner of the window, there are three points:
- large icons;
- small icons;
- select the item called «setup a new connection or network»;
- pane appears in which you must choose one of the options create VirtualPrivateNetwork, select the cursor to «Connect to a workplace».
After all the tasks necessary to configure a VPN taking into account all possible nuances. In each case there are nuances. All of them need to be considered. Most Internet providers create a step-by-step instructions with regard to the interaction with their server.
All completely individually not only with regard to different operators, but also in different versions of Microsoft Windows operating system. Since in each there were various changes in input parameters.
Video: network organization
For the normal functioning of Virtual Private Network in the Windows XP operating system needs in order to perform actions of:
- press the «start» button, select «control Panel»;
- pane will appear titled «new connection Wizard», select the option called «connect to the network at my workplace»;
- in the opened window, select the second from the top item it is marked as «Connecting to a virtual private network»;
- the window that appears next, allows you to write a name for the future environment, it is possible to write anything, this can be the name of the server provider or any random word, phrase;
- after the end of operations in the previous window, you must specify the server that will be functioning (you can be entered the IP address or to do it otherwise);
- upon completion of the wizard, you can create a shortcut.
Often for data exchange in normal mode, it is necessary to pay attention to various additional options.
This can be done by performing a simple procedure:
- run the shortcut by double-clicking, click on the «Properties»;
- a large number of tabs, you need to focus on that which is designated as a «Security»;
- choose «advanced (Custom settings)», you can easily choose the parameters concerning security.
In each case, all individually, have a direct dependence on a specific server or ISP.
In order to understand how to create an environment of this type in the Windows 8 operating system, you need to perform just several mouse clicks. This process is automated.
You must run it this way:
- opening an empty Desktop, find the status icon and click on it with right button of the mouse.
- in the opened contextual menu, select «control Center network and sharing»;
- next, choose the icon labeled «create a new connection or network»;
- determine method of communication to work you must click on «Use my Internet connection»;
- after you perform the previous step and clicking next, you will need to enter Internet address and destination name, and also mark other options associated with the credentials using smart cards.
After completing all the above actions it is necessary to define various options concerning the functioning of the environment.
To do this:
- login to the control center.
- click in the left half of the screen on «Change adapter settings»;
- in the window that appears, find the item marked the same as the connection method, click on it with right mouse button, and then choose the option called «Properties»;
- in the opened applet can make selection of necessary aspects of work:
- General properties;
- General properties;
All settings are highly individual in each case.
Implementation of configuration the compounds being considered in the OS 7 version from Microsoft Windows simply. Its implementation can handle any user, even those with the smallest experience with PC.
After the connection is established, configuration is done in the following way:
- open the list by pressing the left mouse button on the icon with the monitor in the lower right corner of the screen – opens a window where you will see a button called «Connect»;
- click on it to open the activate tab, through which you can access the properties;
- the opened next window gives you the possibility to comprehensively configure, the following tabs are available:
Usually for the normal functioning requires a careful setting of each parameter, otherwise the connection will not be established at all, or during use will always be problems.
How to setup VPN on Android
To work devices running Android OS with a Virtual Private Network, you must perform the following simple steps in strict order:
- in the settings find the section called «Other networks;
- find the section with the appropriate name, activate it and enter the PIN code, without which functioning in the present mode, is impossible;
- after entering the PIN code it is possible to activate Virtual Private Network, simply select its type and enter all the necessary data.
- after all necessary data has been entered, it should just touch the fingers of newly created connection and enter in the window that opens, the user name and corresponding password.
After the implementation of all the above steps, you are ready to work.
Technology and properties
Determine why you need a connection of this type can only know its features and properties. The first thing to remember is that this type of communication implies a different kind of delay in processing traffic.
They are present due to the following reasons:
- requires installation of the communication;
- need encryption or decryption of data;
- adding new headers to the packets.
In other respects, differences from other methods and protocols of work is insignificant. Global differences are only in technology.
It has the following featuresand:
- no need for a dialup connection (modems are not required);
- don’t need a dedicated line.
To work in a secure environment of any type should only connect to the Internet and a special program on both ends that are capable of encryption and decryption of the protected data.
Work Virtual Private Network involves the use of tunneling (encapsulation). This method of transmission gives the possibility to sent the information package easy to reach the end destination, where is deencapsulation.
The connection of this type has a fairly extensive system of classification.
Share Virtual Private Network according to the type of protection of the environment:
- reserved (used when working via the Internet);
- trust (applicable when the security issue negreet decisive role).
Also often classified Virtual Private Network on the way of implementation.
There are the following varieties:
- software solution (is used specialized software);
- integrated solution (use a range of software and hardware).
Virtual network of this type can be implemented using the following protocols:
Today most of the designed networks using TCP/IP.
What is a VPN in the first place? Its main purpose – the protection of information from unauthorized access. That is why it is often used for communication between different state institutions, and in other situations where the issue of data protection is in the first place.