Create PDF in Windows 10
The ability to quickly create a PDF document from almost any file is one of the new useful but still little-known features in Windows 10. In essence, the new operating system is the first version of Windows that, by default, includes a virtual printer to create files in this format.
A virtual printer called Microsoft Print to PDF, and to use it, go to «Print» inside the document or file you want to convert to PDF. For example, to convert to a PDF web page open in Microsoft Edge, you must open the options menu (three dots in the upper right corner of the screen), then click the «Print» button. A quicker way is to press Ctrl + P.
So you open the window of print settings which will allow you to print in PDF format. Here you can configure some settings, including specifying a range of pages.
After clicking on the «Print» button the page will be automatically converted to a PDF file that will be saved in the folder «Documents».
This procedure is exactly the same as with any other type of file that can be printed. You just need to go to menu «Print» and choose Microsoft Print to PDF.
What if I don’t have Microsoft Print to PDF?
If the virtual printer does not appear in the print settings, you can add it manually using the following steps:
- Go to Settings -> Devices -> Printers and scanners.
- Click «Add printer or scanner».
- Then click «the desired printer is not listed».
- In the window of the add printer wizard, select the last option «Add a local or network printer to the settings manually» and click «Next».
- On the next page you will be prompted to specify the printer port. Select «Use an existing port», and inside it select port «FILE: (Print to file)».
- In the list of printer manufacturers find Microsoft and in the right column, select Microsoft Print to PDF, and click «Next».
- Further, it is desirable to keep the current driver by selecting the option «Use installed driver».
- So we finished. It remains only to assign the printer a name, click «Next» and choose whether you want to be the default printer.
To create a PDF using the printer, follow the same steps that I described in the first part of this guide.