Create a bootable pendrive for Windows
For a long time as a source to download and install the operating system (OS) used optical disc drives – CD and later the DVD-ROM. But their popularity went on the decline, many computers currently do without optical drives.
But the mass began to be a portable USB memory stick. It is logical that it passed to them the palm of a portable boot device.
What it is
Bootable flash drive is a portable storage medium connected to the computer USB port, which is ready to boot and install the OS. For Windows XP enough storage capacity 1GB, Windows 7 or 8 requires the device with a capacity of at least 4GB.
Than to create
To Windows included tools to create a USB drive with a preinstalled OS without using third party software. But to make it inexperienced user is difficult, have to spend the time and effort. So there was a considerable number of utilities for creating bootable flash drives.
The most popular:
- Acronis True Image;
- DAEMON Tools.
Let us consider each of these programs in more detail.
Video: make a bootable USB flash drive
Among producers of programs for data backup and work with HDD «Acronis» for a long time occupies a leading position. In the latest versions of products of this company are Acronis True Image and Acronis Disk Director has the ability to create a USB or ISO.
Algorithm of actions:
- run True Image;
- select the tab «Backup and restore» or «Tools and utilities»;
- find the button «Create bootable media» .
Next you can choose the components created a bootable USB device.
Then go to window, select the drive that needs to be recorded, or create ISO image, if you want to burn a disc. The drive should format, selecting FAT32.
In conclusion, confirm the selection and wait until the tape ends. When booting from pendrive will appear here is the menu:
Now you can not only start the computer and restore the OS from backup, troubleshoot the HDD partitions, install multiple operating systems.
Utility «Ultra ISO» is a very popular program for recording and editing CDs, create them from images and emulate CD/DVD. However, among its many functions was a place for a bootable USB.
To work with the program easy:
- connect the USB drive to the port;
- run UltraISO;
- in the «Bootstrapping» select «Burn image hard disk»;
- after that, specify the location of the distribution package in the ISO image.
Be sure to set the line «write Method» option «USB-HDD+».
If necessary, format the flash drive when prompted by the program. All you can use. Thus, it is possible to create a bootable device is not only for Windows but also for Linux.
Tool Victoria developed a Belarusian programmer and entrepreneur Sergey Kazansky. It is small but very functional and effective program.
- does not require installation;
- fast work;
- tiny size of the distribution;
- a large number of tests;
- supports ACHI.
Victoria to version 3.52, inclusive, is designed to run under DOS. Now there is for Windows official beta version 4.46 b 4.47 and informal, but we look at the most famous 3.52.
At this time, in addition to the utility will need a program loader. Suitable, for example, the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool from Hewlett Packard. Download and unpack the archive.
To USB drive you can boot, it is necessary MBR boot sector. To create and format use file hpusbfw.exe from the downloaded archive.
- in the column «Device» find the right device;
- the file system can not be changed – let it be FAT32;
- write any name of the volume in the «Volume label»;
- click «Start» to begin formatting.
The result is a flash-drive with the installed ERD 3Commander. Naturally, in the process of formatting all data will be destroyed. So move them somewhere for a while. Then you can write back to Victoria will take no more than a few megabytes.
Confirm the deletion of data and wait for the end of formatting. When done formatting, click «OK».
Now you need to install the USB loader using the file grubinst_gui.exe.
- in the «Disk» select the desired option;
- in the line «Part List», find the option «Whole disk (MBR)»;
- if the list is empty, click «Refresh»;
- when everything is set, click «Install»;
- a message will appear at the prompt about beginning the installation;
- press «Enter»;
- after installation, click «Quit» and exit the program.
The next step is to copy the files to a USB flash drive, Victoria. Unpack the archive and copy out all the files. Ready!
With the USB drive, as before, to use for data storage. Just create a separate folder for them, so as not to accidentally delete system files.
Despite some archaic software is very useful for:
- low-level testing. Helps to identify failing areas of the hard drive, so-called «bad sector»;
- measurement of access time. In addition to assessing the performance of the HDD, identifies suspicious areas that may soon fail;
- reduction of noise level. Can control the speed of movement of the reading heads;
- the irretrievable destruction of information;
- setup passwords.
Like the previous programme, «Rufus» is free. It is a small utility, which consists of only one file. It does not require installation, and work with it very easy. After running this window will appear:
Further the algorithm:
- choose a necessary device;
- put the rest of the settings as shown in the figure;
- in the line «New label» point, what is the name of the flash drive after formatting;
- chosen as one bootable OS from DOS-ov, MS-DOS or FreeDOS.
If you need Windows or Linux, then put in the option «ISO image». After that, click the button with the image of the drive and specify the path to the distribution.
According to the developer, «Rufus» works faster than any of their analogs in functionality.
Like «UltraISO», «Daemon-tools» primarily designed to work with CD/DVD drives, create disc images and emulate the devices. Burn a bootable USB-drives – one of the extra functions.
Run «DAEMON Tools» and select menu «Tools» the item «Write boot image to USB».
- connect the USB drive and select it in «Drive»;
- in the line «the path to the image» click «Browse» and select the container distribution;
- check the option «Rewrite MBR» to make the USB stick bootable. Make sure that the Windows WMI service is enabled;
- check the box «Format», specify the desired file system and specify the name that the device will receive after formatting;
- check the amount of free space, make sure that its enough;
- if all necessary parameters are set, press «Start».
Wait until recording is finished. After that, close the program by clicking «Finish».
Create a bootable USB drive using command prompt
If you want to do without additional programs, it is possible and this option. Windows has the ability to create a bootable USB drive using command prompt commands «cmd». Type it in the Windows «Run» or call by pressing Win+R.
Next, enter at the command prompt the following command:
- DISKPART – call program management logical disks;
- list disk – look at the list of drives connected to the computer;
- select disk 1 – select the drive which is a flash drive. The figure may vary depending on the number of devices;
- clean – deleted from the selected drive all the data.
- create partition primary – create primary partition;
- select partition 1 select the newly created partition;
- active – appointed active section;
- format fs=NTFS – formatted USB drive with NTFS file system;
- assign letter=S – assigned to drive letter, if necessary;
- exit – the exit command from the program.
The device is ready, it remains to copy the files of the OS. Don’t forget to unpack them from archive or ISO-container.
As you can see, the ways to create bootable USB devices varied. You can select any suitable to a specific situation. But don’t forget to set booting from USB when the computer starts. It can make a single, selecting the appropriate item in the boot menu (useful for laptops).
Or change settings in the BIOS, putting the USB devices priority. To do this, go to BIOS setup by pressing during boot press Del or F2 (can be different options for the computers of different companies). Under «Boot» you will find the list of boot devices and move the USB in the first place.
In conclusion, I must warn you that really old computers cannot boot via USB. Then alternative to fragile and bulky optical drives will not. In all other cases of compact and reliable USB flash drive is preferable.