Cleaning the hard disk
This article will help You to clean your operating system from the «garbage». Having done all what is written here, Your computer will run faster and more stable.
1. Clear your browser from Cookies. Are small files that remain on Your computer after visiting sites.
If You are using Internet Explorer, to delete Cookies, go to START -> SETTINGS -> CONTROL PANEL -> Internet options. In the window that appears click on DELETE COOKIES and then on DELETE FILES tick the option to delete all offline content and click OK.
If You use other browsers to delete Cookies in your browser settings, find the DELETE TEMPORARY FILES.
2. Disk cleanup. To run the wizard disk cleanup go to START -> PROGRAMS ?-> ACCESSORIES -> SYSTEM TOOLS -> DISK CLEANUP. Select the drive and click OK. Then tick the list of files to delete and click OK:
3. Clean-up memory occupying the system Restore. Go to START -> PROGRAMS ?-> ACCESSORIES -> SYSTEM TOOLS -> DISK CLEANUP. ADVANCED tab — system Restore — Clean:
4. Disk Defragmenter.
— Open «My computer»
— Right-click on the drive you want to defragment and select «Properties»
— Go to the tab «Service»
— Click on the «defragment now.»
5. Adware removal, malware and spyware software. Use this free utility CureIT provided by the site DrWeb to scan and remove viruses and spyware.
6. Windows 2000 and Windows XP keeps a backup of the files which Windows updates are installed in folders $NtUninstallKBxxxxxx$, stored on the operating system drive in the folder Windows. Even when you download Windows updates, downloaded files are saved in the folder x:WINDOWSSoftwareDistributionDownload.
If You have Windows XP, you can also remove the folder $hf_mig$, pranamaya in the Windows folder.
7. If You have hibernation enabled, disable it.
Use the utility CCleaner to clean and delete temporary files, programs, registry keys.
To protect against viruses and other spyware programs that install on your computer antivirus. Popular antiviruses: Kaspersky, DrWeb, Trend Micro, Avast, Norton antivirus.