10 things you should know about Microsoft HoloLens
Yesterday at the presentation Microsoft revealed something amazing – HoloLens glasses that create holograms in the real world and allow you to interact with them. According to some, the device is ahead of its time, and while we wait for the HoloLens in the market, here are 10 things that you probably be interested to know…
1. Glasses create holograms Microsoft HoloLens was developed in secret for 7 years, and the code name of the device was Project Baraboo or simply «B».
2. Glasses HoloLens put a person into a new environment that intertwines reality and holograms. The device scans the environment and displays holograms over the real physical objects, so each room can be a field for realization of various ideas.
3. A serious difference compared with all other points of augmented reality is that with HoloLens, the user can manage the created 3D objects. Virtual reality glasses Oculus Rift type exclude the person from the real environment, whereas with HoloLens, the world around remains visible through the transparent mask.
4. Interaction with holograms is carried out by gestures and not by touch or taps. A few hand movements, the user can create, change the size or shape of the hologram. Navigation on the created environment is via eye movements – with the possibility to look like in the real world. Applications can be controlled by voice.
5. HoloLens will receive integration with other software applications such as Skype, for example. This will provide a new way of communication in which the opposing party will have the opportunity to penetrate the visible through the glasses your world, creating holograms in it at a distance. There is a boundless field for ideas, but Microsoft gives the example of a father who helps his daughter to repair plumbing, painting on your tablet for instructions on how to connect the pipes. Instructions are displayed in the form of 3D directions before the eyes of the girl.
6. Microsoft project allows scientists to set foot on Mars, being two steps away from your office Desk. Yes, you can explore the surface of Mars during a walk around the office! Points can take you into a whole new environment – the place where we’ve never been. This will be possible through the use of images of those locations and processed in a special software (OnSight).
7. Microsoft HoloLens does not require any cables or PC connection and telephone, they are relatively light and will sit comfortably on the head of each adult person. Glasses are a standalone device that has everything needed to create holograms.
8. Glasses designed to work with new Windows 10 platform, which developers can create their apps for HoloLens. And software for innovation is the most important part, which Microsoft will continue to vigorously work to final presentation and after that.
9. «This is the next computer,» says Microsoft on HoloLens.
10. Price is still unknown, however, as release date on sale, but it is expected that Microsoft HoloLens will be in parallel with the final version of Windows 10, probably by the end of 2015 Satya Nadella said that the price of glasses is such that they are available to both business and ordinary users.